Vice chancellor Hussey resigns

Photo by File

Mark Hussey steps down from his senior position as vice chancellor and Dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

A&M University President Michael K. Young sent out a campus-wide statement January 10 announcing that Mark Hussey, vice chancellor and dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will resign from his position to transition to faculty.
Hussey attended Texas A&M as a graduate student 34 years ago and has since continued to serve the university in multiple ways. In December 2008, he was appointed to vice chancellor and dean, then interim president in 2014 following former A&M president R. Bowen Loftin.
As dean, Hussey has been committed to the development of the AGLS department and has been involved in various agencies including Texas A&M AgriLife Research, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension, Texas A&M Forest Service and the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory.
During his time at A&M, Hussey initiated statewide construction campaigns to create new facilities for faculty and students, including the new AGLS Complex on West Campus. Across 14 academic departments, he led 140 staff members and roughly 8,000 students.
Because of his leadership, the department has “attracted best-in-class faculty and students reflected in excellence in teaching, research, extension engagement and service,” according to Young’s email.
Hussey will remain in his current position until the university determines and announces his successor.