“Vote Rec” expansion proposal to be on ballot

Vote Rec Map

The 2018 spring ballot includes an opinion poll about constructing two additional recreation centers on campus.
“Vote Rec” is an ad campaign designed to motivate students to vote to increase fees for the Student Recreation Center by $39 starting in the fall of 2020. The fee would be used to build satellite facilities located on the south side of campus near the golf course parking lot and on north side of campus near the College of Engineering to alleviate the overcrowding of the main facility.
The University Drive Facility will be approximately 30,000 square feet and the South Campus Facility will be approximately 70,000 to 82,000 square feet, according to Kelly VonDrehle, assistant director of communications for Recreational Sports.
“We have fielded questions to help ease some of the concerns that students might have,” VonDrehle said. “The vast majority of students’ feedback has been very positive and students seem to be excited about additional recreational facilities on campus.”
Each satellite location will provide alternatives for students who normally have difficulties with travel and time commitment when trying to get to the Rec.
According to VonDrehle, the Recreation Center is currently the largest student employer on campus with approximately 1,200 student employees.
“With the additional facilities, we estimate the total number of student employees will increase to approximately 1,500,” VonDrehle said.
The following is the opinion poll that students can vote on, according to the Spring 2018 Student Body Elections Sample Ballot.
Statement: I support an increase in the Recreational Sports Fee from $106 to $145. The increase will be phased in beginning with incoming and graduate students in the fall 2020 semester. This increase will be used to fund construction, operational and programming costs associated with new recreational facilities on the main campus.