No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Wendy Davis stops by Texas A&M campus

photo by David Cohen State Sen. Wendy Davis invites students to join campaign efforts.  

As her campaign across Texas continues, state Sen. Wendy Davis stopped by A&M Wednesday to share her story, her struggles in high school, her move to college and her journey through life.
Davis said she wanted to tell her story, “not because it is unique, but precisely because it is not.” Davis said her story is what led her to try to share the importance of investing in education, so that others may benefit and try to avoid the challenges she faced.
“Just as I’ve done as state senator, I’m going to fight for you when I am governor, because I know what it’s like to think that your future is gone, to face challenge after challenge and setback after setback,” Davis said.
Davis said she pledges to continue working to provide funds for students, ranging from first grade all the way to the college level. She said her actions as senator, including fighting against a $5 billion cut in education, is what she fights for “to ensure we retain our tier one universities like Texas A&M.”
Olivia Ekeke, epidemiology graduate student, was one of the speakers who introduced Davis. Ekeke said she benefited from the Texas B-On-Time loan, a piece of Davis’ education platform.
“I hope that me speaking made it more relatable,” Ekeke said. “I couldn’t have done it without the Texas B-On-Time loans and the grants she wants to expand.”
Davis made an appeal directly to the students of A&M to assist in her campaign.
“I am going to partner with you, and from now until Election Day I need you to partner with me,” Davis said. “I need you to knock on doors, and make calls, and talk to your fellow students and others that you know and help them understand what’s at stake in this election and why every single vote is going to matter.”
Katie Higgins, general studies sophomore, helped organize the event. Higgins said she felt Davis’s message, which primarily focused on educational policy, would resonate with students.
Higgins said she was strongly encouraged by the turnout and said any publicity is good publicity.
“Any time you are having people encouraging others to vote regardless of what party it’s for, I think that’s good,” Higgins said.
Adam Hale, computer engineering sophomore, said he was encouraged to hear Davis speak.
“We are a very conservative campus and it’s great to see people coming here and supporting her,” Hale said.