A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Women handle Rice with ease

Texas A&M women’s tennis head coach Bobby Kleinecke and his players talked all week about the advantages that playing outdoors again would give the team. Sunday, the team learned that it takes longer than expected to get reacclimated.
Nonetheless, the No. 19 Aggies blanked the Rice Owls (4-4) 7-0 in a hotly-contested match at the George P. Mitchell Center. The score was deceiving, though, as Rice led A&M (3-4) in three of the six singles’ matches before eventually folding to the Aggies.
“(The outdoors) did have a factor,” Kleinecke said. “It’s tough to go from indoors to outdoors. The ball bounces a lot slower when you’re outdoors.”
Senior Roberta Spencer and junior Lauren Walker helped get the Aggies going with a convincing 8-3 doubles win over the Rice tandem of sophomore Blair DiSesa and junior Erika Villalobos.
“We came out strong and its good to know we’re going to take care of business,” Walker said. “It helped our No. 3 doubles come back.”
Two courts away, A&M junior Helga Vieira and freshman Anna Lubinsky rallied past Rice seniors Yasmin Fisher and Annie Goodrich to clinch the doubles point for the Aggies.
Despite winning the doubles point, Kleinecke said he is not totally pleased with his team’s performance in doubles.
“I’m concerned with doubles. I’m pleased with our effort, our character, our fight and all of the intangibles. But we have some improvement to do in doubles. I didn’t walk away totally satisfied with doubles.”
In singles action, the Aggies won all six matches. It was easy though as three of the matches went into an extra game, and Lubinsky’s victory against Goodrich involved a second set tiebreaker.
With A&M leading the overall match, 3-0, the remaining fans hovered over the last four singles matches and cheered on the Aggies. This, along with mental toughness, may have been the deciding factor in the outcome.
“I think (mental toughness was a factor),” Walker said. “I know I can do it and my team was behind me.”
Kleinecke said his team will never back down.
“That’s their character,” Kleinecke said. “They’re gonna play through, give themselves a chance to win, and that’s crucial.”
Down the stretch, Rice failed to come up with an answer for A&M’s late push.
After losing the first set, A&M sophomore Nikki Mechem was down 5-3 in the second set. She came back and won the set 7-6, and then the tiebreaker, 10-7.
Walker lost her first set of singles to Fisher, then won the second set and tiebreaker to win the match.
“It was a hard-fought match,” said Rice head coach Roger White. “A&M played real tough, and we look forward to seeing them in the (NCAA) regional tournament.”
The Aggies next take the court in Chapel Hill, N.C., when they take on the University of North Carolina next Saturday.