Yell Leaders denounce message in signs targeting Greek life

Provided

Signs posted around campus Thursday depict negative images of fraternities and non-cadet yell leaders.

*UPDATE: The Mugdown, a student-run satirical online newspaper, has taken responsibility for the signs. The Mugdown’s article on the matter, “In defense of satire at A&M: or a perspective on propaganda,” can be found at http://goo.gl/ZZSIF.*

Signs placed on campus depicting anti-fraternity sentiment made a splash on social media Thursday.

One sign featured caricatures of the four Yell Leaders from the Corps of Cadets giving Senior Yell Leader Steven Lanz, who is not a cadet, the thumbs down. Lanz is a member of the Christian social fraternity “Brothers Under Christ,” or BYX.

Another sign featured a New Balance shoe toppling Albritton Tower. On another sign, tombstones with fraternity letters are shown below text that reads, “Don’t rush to your grave.”

Corps of Cadets Commander David Trigg said these signs were not Corps-approved and neither the Corps nor the Office of the Commandant put them out. Trigg said the signs do not contribute to campus unity.

“I think part of the Aggie spirit is having respect and coming together as the 12th Man,” Trigg said. “It’s important to always realize the actions or the things we say to one another reflect how we truly care about one another, and I think as long as we continue to progress toward the goal of campus unity across all student organizations we will continue to see a rise in respect and care for each other.” 

The actions of a few don’t always reflect the attitudes and impressions of the overall student population, Trigg said. 

“It’s very important in this day and age to understand that social media allows everything to get blown out of proportion and for people to see it as a majority of opinions when in reality it could just be a small group of individuals reflect that opinion,” Trigg said. 

Lanz said when he saw the signs from photos his friends sent him, he did not overly concern himself.

“I did not put much thought into the signs until I learned more about what was going on,” Lanz said. “However it was evident to me from the start that the Corps of Cadets was not behind it.”

Whether or not the signs are of a satirical nature, no good comes from them, Lanz said. 

“I do not believe any good comes from the content of these signs,” Lanz. “Whether the agenda was humor, or to poke fun at the Corps of Cadets or Greek Life, the signs just created unnecessary drama and were disrespectful. That is not what Texas A&M is about.”

Lanz said the sign depicting the Yell Leaders is far from the truth. 

“Zach, Ben, Chris and Will have done an outstanding job of accepting me as one of them,” Lanz said. “I have truly enjoyed getting to know them better this past month and I genuinely could not have asked for a better group of guys to serve alongside in the upcoming year.”

Zach Lawrence, appointed 2015-2016 Head Yell Leader, said Lanz is a great Aggie with tremendous faith. Lawrence said Lanz has shown an overwhelming enthusiasm and desire to serve A&M since the beginning of the election season.

Connor Roberts, president of BYX and mechanical engineering junior, said he was disappointed when he saw the signs, especially because Lanz did not run for Yell Leader on the pretense of dividing the student body.

“Steven truly has the most genuine heart of anybody I’ve met,” Roberts said. “He  wants to serve the university and unite the student body. He ran on the vision that he could unite the student body, representing non-regs and Corps members alike.”