Around the SEC week 7

SEC Logo
SEC Logo

As the Aggies enter this weekend on a bye, the Southeastern Conference presents plenty of competition that can affect A&M’s future. Despite the Aggies’ vacation this weekend, there’s enough buzz around the SEC as several teams are still in the hunt for the CFB Playoffs.  Two Top-20 w, including a Top-10 competition that teases A&M’s next opponent awaits Saturday afternoon. Before the Aggies head into the second half of the regular season, they will have a chance to see some of the nation’s best battle it out in Week 7. 
No. 12 Ole Miss at No. 22 Arkansas
Oct. 15, Fayetteville, AR — 6:00 p.m.
The Razorbacks (4-2, 0-2 SEC) are coming off a tough loss to No. 1 Alabama as they are still in the hunt for an SEC victory. Their somewhat regressing offensive line has paved a path for running back Rawleigh Williams III who is third in the SEC for ground yardage. Arkansas’ O-line may not be what it once was, but Ole Miss (3-2, 1-1 SEC) is conceding 215.4 yards on the ground per game. The Razorbacks also put up 222 including four scores in a 53-52 victory over the Rebels last season. Ole Miss play caller, Chad Kelly leads the Southeastern Conference with a 163.19 QBR, complemented by SEC-leading 9.17 yards per attempt and 66.09 percent completion. Arguably the best quarterback in the conference, Kelly will have his way with a young and fairly inexperienced Arkansas defense that struggles in containing dual threat quarterbacks. Look for a shootout between Kelly and Arkansas quarterback Austin Allen while both team’s ground game struggles. A rested Rebels defense will make a few stops while Kelly uses his arm and legs to slip by the Razorback front lines and claim victory in a close one. 
Prediction: Ole Miss 45, Arkansas 38 
Vanderbilt at Georgia
Oct. 15, Athens, GA — 12:00 p.m.
After a heartbreaking loss to Tennessee on a 43-yard Hail Mary in the dying seconds of the game, the Bulldogs (4-2, 2-2 SEC) were able to bounce back and book a win over South Carolina last week. They’ll host a Vanderbilt (2-4, 0-3 SEC) squad that has yet to find its footing in 2016. They haven’t been able to get their offense going — they’ve only scored more than 30 points in two competitions. On the other side of the line true freshman Georgia quarterback Jacob Eason completed just five passes for 29 total yards against the Gamecocks. Meanwhile, returning halfback Nick Chubb has continued to dominate the ground game with 546 yards (fourth in the SEC).  The Bulldog’s focus will be pounding a run game through Chubb against Commodore LB Zach Cunningham with an SEC-leading 62 tackles. Look for the Dogs to contain Ralph Webb in the backfield (second leading SEC rusher) while Eason keeps the ball in his tailbacks hands on plenty of short routes and check-downs. The Bulldogs are still in the running for the SEC East and can’t afford to lose this matchup. Expect them to run away with this one on Chubb’s shoulders.
Prediction: Georgia 31, Vanderbilt 16 
Missouri at No. 18 Florida
Oct. 15, Gainesville, FL — 4:00 p.m.
Two fresh teams will take the field Saturday afternoon as the Florida Gators (4-1, 2-1 SEC) play host to the quarterback-dependent Missouri Tigers (2-3, 0-2 SEC). The Tigers’ man under center, Drew Lock leads the SEC with 1675 yards through the air. But lining up across from Lock is a Florida defense that boasts two or three first-round draft picks in their secondary. This poses a problem to Mizzou’s pass-happy offense who was shut down by LSU’s corners in a 42-7 beating in Baton Rouge. The air-attack will be disrupted by the likes of Jalen Tabor, Marcus Maye and Quincy Wilson. Lock is in dire need of support from the ground game if they want to get anything going in this competition. The Gators anticipate the return of quarterback Luke Del Rio after he went down due to a knee injury in mid-September. Facing a defense that allowed 634 yards to LSU, expect the signal caller to have his way in a Swamp homecoming.
Prediction: Florida 41, Missouri 20
No. 1 Alabama at No. 9 
Tennessee
Oct. 15, Knoxville, TN — 2:30 p.m.
Just one loss to consider in this matchup. The Volunteers (5-1, 2-1 SEC) are coming off a double overtime defeat to Texas A&M as they play host to the undefeated Crimson Tide (6-0, 3-0 SEC). Both teams are looking to the future and possible playoff berths as they kick off the second half of the season. The Volunteers roll into this weekend beat up and disgruntled after leaving College Station with a concussed running back and injury-blasted lines, not to mention a dismissed senior defensive tackle. Assuming the Vols follow form and have a slow start, they have no chance Saturday. Don’t expect more fairytale comebacks and last-second Hail Maries against the Alabama defense. It won’t be easy, or pretty, but the Vols need to keep their foot on the gas pedal from the start to find any glimmer of hope. ‘Bama may have given up over 400 yards through the air in the last two SEC matchups, and Vols quarterback Joshua Dobbs can really sling it, but with a cranking offense like the Tide, starting slow will put Tennessee in a 50-point hole Dobbs won’t be able to dig them out of. I have to give credit to the Volunteers considering they have heart and never give up on a game, but they haven’t played a full 60 minutes to convince me they can stand up to this crimson powerhouse. 
Prediction: Alabama 55, Tennessee 38