Claire Wimberly: Embrace all that A&M has to offer

As senior class president, Claire Wimberly is a representative for the Class of 2017 and performs a variety of functions.

Who would have thought that May 2017 would come so quickly? For the Texas A&M Class of 2017, it seems like just yesterday we were taking our first steps onto campus and into the world that is college. As cliché as it is, four years go by faster than anyone can imagine. I would like to take this opportunity to talk about a few things — the Class of 2017’s journey here, some words on tradition and a few general “college tips.”
   I have been fortunate to serve as the 2017 Class President for the last three years, and it has been a pleasure and an honor to establish the vision for our class in relation to class related traditions. To sum up our years here from this perspective, I can come up with one word that holistically encapsulates everything we’ve done — and that’s “transformation.” Our sophomore year, we turned Pull Out Day from an event that had less than 100 attendees the year before, to an event with more than 1,000 attendees, sold more than 900 T-shirts and raised more than $5,000 for the Class Gift fund (the first time in history that Pull Out Day ever raised money, instead of losing money, for the Class Gift). Our junior year, we saw the first Junior E-Walk with no elephants. While this was a big change, no doubt about it, we stuck it out and were part of one of the largest Junior E-Walks in history. And finally our senior year. We participated in an Elephant Walk that ended up on Kyle Field for the first time in years, and took part in the first ever Ring Dance to be held in the Hall of Champions. While the final numbers are yet to be solidified, it is likely that the Class of 2017 will end our four years with almost $50,000 in our Class Gift fund — the largest in several years — and all because of the passion and participation of the Class of 2017.
  A now for a few words on tradition. One of my favorite things to do when I talk to freshmen is ask, “How many of you are at Texas A&M because of the traditions?” Inevitably, most of them will acknowledge that this is the case. However, it’s not enough for all of us to just talk the talk — we need to walk the walk. Don’t just say how much you love Texas A&M because of the traditions, take part in them. Don’t just change your profile picture for an event, go to it. Talk to your friends, embrace all that A&M has to offer, because we are a university like no other. We all had our pick of universities, but we chose to come here. Don’t let what sets this school apart become a thing of the past. It is our duty, for ourselves, former students and future students, to ensure that the traditions of Texas A&M live on for days to come. Don’t just say, “Someone else will do it,” because if everyone says that, who is left to the task? We have a responsibility as Aggies, and the magnitude of such responsibility is both exciting and profound.
 Finally, just some general tips on college life from an old senior. I definitely don’t know it all, but here it goes. Put your phone in your pocket when you ride the bus or walk across campus. Take in the beauty of the school that we are privileged to attend. Go to a random sporting event on a weekday when you have nothing to do, and take a friend you haven’t seen in a while. Participate in traditions. Say, “Howdy.” Cultivate the greatness in someone younger than you, and watch with pride when they accomplish things you never could. Pour yourself into friendships, and don’t forget to call the people back home.
  To the Texas A&M Class of 2017 — every time you look down at that piece of Aggie gold on your finger, I hope you look at that little number “17” with pride, because we earned it and will forever be linked because of it. Thanks for the best four years, Texas A&M. Gig ‘em.
Claire Wimberly is a management senior and senior class president