Colton Wayne: College flies by

Senior Colton Wayne served as the 2016-2017 Interfraternity Council President.

My time here at Texas A&M University has had its challenges and difficulties, but has also given me incredible opportunities. Opportunities to learn, to grow and to serve this great campus. Upon my arrival, Greek Life was still relatively small and a less visible aspect of the student experience available at our university. There was not a great deal of exposure to Greek Life for all students on campus, and we did not always highlight the amazing things we did throughout the year. However, I know this has changed along with the culture of Greek Life, as barely a day goes by when I walk through campus and don’t see a banner for a charity event, or get a flyer for a philanthropy concert or competition. Our presence among the student body has increased tremendously. Greek students not only participate in their own organizations, but can also be found in most student organizations on campus in leadership and membership roles. I believe since becoming a part of the Board for the Interfraternity Council and most recently president this past year, we have been able to grow Greek Life tremendously and in the best possible direction. Being a part of this organization and the fraternity experience gave me the opportunity to meet men within my own chapter and among the many other chapters on campus who will remain lifelong friends. I will always be proud of my time here as a brother of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, and I know I am a better man because of it.
Aside from my time and memories as a fraternity man, there are so many Aggie traditions and events that I will miss. It is true that as a former student, you can always come back to Aggieland and rejoin the Aggie family. Yet, there is something unique about being in the moment, in the experience and living it every day as a student. Getting my Aggie Ring, tailgating game days, walking onto Kyle Field on Saturdays — all of these made Texas A&M special to me. No one can truly ever prepare a freshman for what comes at them during college. Four years ago, when a friend told me this time in my life would fly by, I couldn’t believe them and so I didn’t take much stock in their advice. Looking back now, he couldn’t have been more correct. It really does seem like just yesterday I was sleepily trudging into Heldenfels for a Biology 111 class filled with 300 people. Now, I still sleepily trudge into classes with 30 people, and I wonder where the time has gone.
So, although no one really asked for it, the best advice I can give to Aggie students is embrace this moment. Don’t just go through the motions and attend class, study, and go to bed. Experience things you wouldn’t normally do, try things that make you feel scared or uncomfortable, meet people outside of your comfort zone. Make friends, make mistakes, make memories. Live. Because very soon, this time of exploration will have passed you by. Like me, you will walk across that stage and out the door before you know it. You will always be a part of the Aggie family, but only a short portion of that time will be spent here in College Station as a student. Like my friend told me not so long ago, time flies so you better make the most of it.
 Colton Wayne is a zoology senior and 2016-2017 Interfraternity Council President