Don’t trade your future by living in your past

Provided
Chevall Swan Song

When I came to Texas A&M 16 months ago, I hit the fast-forward button on college.
I joined an award-winning newspaper, made wonderful friends and equally wonderful memories and wrapped up my credit requirements. In less than 10 days I’ll turn my ring, collect my diploma and begin the next chapter of my life.
It was a short burst of my college career — not even half of it — but it’s been the most fun, stressful, exhilarating — sometimes frightening — part of my university experience. A&M Commerce couldn’t hold a candle to the time I’ve had at A&M. I’ve never felt more fulfillment or growth since I decided to go to college.
That being said, as incredible as my time in the maroon bubble has been, it’s time to move on.
I’ve never been someone who could sit still. Sitting in my house for more than four hours gives me anxiety. I transferred schools because I felt my education was halted. I usually can’t finish a video game before starting another one. Whether it’s early or not, I usually know when it’s time to move on from something. I’ll miss my Batt friends for their incredible personalities and late nights spent bonding, but it’s never good to hold on to something past the expiration date.
Memories are just that: Pieces of the past. Clinging to the past year won’t extend the experience. Moving forward with the skills I’ve learned from news writing and managing and the bonds I’ve made and using them to create, find truth and build a fruitful future for those around me are my goals as a former student.
As much as I’ll miss the late nights editing killer stories and fixing bad ones, kicking back with a drink at Rebel’s, late nights studying and writing in Evans, standing in solidarity at every Silver Taps, cracking politically incorrect jokes with roommates, embarrassing Christmas party pictures, yelling during football games and even gazing at the beautiful campus while taking Bus 5, I wouldn’t trade the future for living in the past.
I want to make myself and my network proud. Not just the Aggie Network, but the network I’ve built since I started college in 2013. I’m marching forward for The Battalion, for helping me reach heights I never thought I would in my collegiate journalism career. For my friends in Student Bonfire for showing me what it means to be passionate. For the journalism professors who took the time to improve my personal etiquette and writing skills.
I will be a passionate former student. My Aggie Ring will stay attached to my finger, half of my wardrobe will probably be maroon and I will come to the holy mecca that is Kyle Field for football games when I have the cash. I will attend Muster every year no matter where I am because I would want the same for myself or any of my friends. A&M will be with me for the rest of my life, because I am thankful for every second I’ve been here.
As I pack my bags and head to a new city to start my career and begin doing what I love, I’ll remember every step that got me there, but I’ll never turn around. My maroon blood and Aggie ambition will keep me moving forward. I will become someone we will be proud of.
Chevall Pryce is a journalism senior and news editor for The Battalion.