Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

‘It’s okay to only be okay’

For HelpLine Awareness Week, The Battalion will publish daily guest columns written by HelpLine’s volunteers. As anonymity is a concern due to the nature of HelpLine calls, The Battalion has granted the guest columnists the use of pseudonyms. 

When I started going to A&M, I knew traditions were big here. I wanted to do my best to live as an Aggie — I went to the football games, attended Silver Taps and said Howdy. I also wanted to hold up the core Aggie values that this university was built upon and give back to my Aggie community. That’s when I joined Student Counseling HelpLine. I know that through my selfless service, I have directly helped out my fellow Aggies. And while I have left an impact on Aggies through HelpLine, HelpLine has also impacted me. Not only have I gained the satisfaction of knowing that if any Aggie needed someone to talk to that HelpLine was there for them, but I have also acquired a lot of valuable skills and met some wonderful people.

It’s funny, when you go through training you completely relearn how to listen and to speak. It was a very difficult training process, but it has been very beneficial to me. The skills that I learned have helped me professionally, to be a better friend and to practice better self-care. One thing I didn’t understand before training is that it’s okay to be only okay. I was so used to doing well on things academically that when my emotions weren’t “perfect” and I felt lonely or not good enough for graduate school, I struggled. HelpLine taught me the importance of self-care: watch that extra episode of Netflix, go out for a run or paint — just as long as you are putting time towards yourself. Now, I have become okay with being okay. HelpLine has taught me that life might not be perfect, but that’s what makes life an adventure.

Being a student at A&M gives you a lot of unique opportunities. I joined a lot of different organizations and was a part of many different communities, but I know when I look back on being a student, HelpLine is what impacted me the most. As a HelpLiner, I get to volunteer with this great group of Aggies of all different majors, religions and backgrounds, who all want to help out other Aggies. I think it is such a cool and unique way to give back to my wonderful Aggie family, and I am so thankful for this experience.

Jean, Class of 2017