Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Opinion: Don’t eat alone

We underestimate the value of a communal meal
Sitting around the kitchen table with people to share a meal makes a bigger impact in your life than you realize. Opinion writer Nihan Iscan says that there is a strong connection between food, memories and contentment. (Photo courtesy of Jill Wellington/Pixabay)

Sitting in my grandparents’ kitchen amidst all of my relatives as they prepare one of our favorite traditional Turkish meals is one of life’s simplest pleasures. Cousins bickering, grandparents patiently explaining the recipes to the grandkids and myself, just soaking it all in. It’s a chaotic scene but heart-warming nonetheless.

If there is one thing I’ve learned from my family, it’s that hunger brings us all to the kitchen, but it’s the memories that make us stick around. 

When I drink from a store-made ayran, it takes me back to my memories with my friends in the dining hall of my middle school in Istanbul. When I eat sekerpare, a Turkish dessert my grandma used to make, it reminds me of my summers in Izmit. 

What connects these memories together isn’t solely the amazing food. It’s that the act of eating with loved ones is a shared experience, an opportunity to grow closer to one another. There’s a good reason why it’s been said that “the family that eats together stays together.”  

Despite the clear advantages of shared meals, we college students seem to never prioritize this simple but beneficial activity. We are busy with multiple responsibilities at once, often neglecting the importance of good food and reducing it to just another chore on our to-do list. Sometimes, we end up eating chips and energy drinks for lunch, or a granola bar and coffee for dinner. 

However, you can increase the satisfaction you get from your meals. Start by removing the distractions around you that take your attention away from enjoying your food. Putting down your phone while you are eating can be a big step in this process. Eating without hurry will reflect positively in other fields of your life. In your career, relationships, and other duties, the ability to stay in the present moment will allow you to achieve a higher level of success and contentment.

If you can, try to make it a habit to eat together with friends and family. Sharing the eating experience with loved ones on a consistent basis will improve your relationship with them and add to your contentment. As college students, we can use our free time to invite friends over for a cooking spree. We can prepare food and take it to each other’s houses for a potluck. Gathering around a table and sharing food will strengthen your relationships and add meaning and fulfillment to your college experience.

When you look back at your college years, you want to have good food as a part of the memories you made. Reminiscing with your college friends years later and appreciating the small moments when you made a good meal, went for a picnic or shared food with each other will be immensely valuable. 

Appreciation of food is not only shared between individuals but is also a bridge between cultures. It is a common ground for diverse societies to celebrate significant occasions accompanied by food. On Thanksgiving, Eid, Timkat, Christmas, Newroz, Hanukkah and many other special holidays, different communities gather around the kitchen table and celebrate their shared beliefs. 

Food is an equalizer because it allows you to share a unique experience with friends and family. It is a method in which we can connect to our close circle as well as people with completely different backgrounds. Eating is a human experience, universal and adds to our happiness more than we realize. 

So, the next time you are planning on what to cook for dinner, consider inviting your loved ones over. You won’t regret it. 

Nihan Iscan is a senior international studies major and an opinion writer for The Battalion.