Junior P Emily Kennedy (11) winds up to pitch during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Took the Tide
Took the Tide
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Took the Tide
Kylie Stoner, Associate Sports Editor • April 15, 2024

After a close pitching battle in the beginning of the matchup, Texas A&M softball defeated 9-4 Alabama to take the series on Monday, April...

Visitors attend Homegrown at Northgate, an annual farmers and artisan market on Sunday, April 16, 2024. (Samuel Falade/The Battalion)
Homegrown brings food trucks, local vendors, live music to Northgate
Nadia Abusaid, Life & Arts Writer • April 15, 2024

A cool breeze flows on a Sunday as people listen to the strums of a guitar and smooth vocals. People stroll past stands and food trucks, stopping...

Guest contributor says students pose an unacceptable danger to local motorists. (Photo via Nile/Pixabay)
Letter to the editor: No-More-Student-Drivers
Trey Bass, Guest Contributor • April 15, 2024

Dear Editor,  I am writing to discuss the current state of our city and some glaring issues I have noticed being perpetrated on the innocent...

Opinion: Roses aren’t cliche

But you sure are.
Valentines+Day+items+for+sale+at+H-E-B+on+Saturday%2C+Feb.+10%2C+2024.+
Photo by Ani Tummalapalli
Valentine’s Day items for sale at H-E-B on Saturday, Feb. 10, 2024.

Roses are red, violets are blue; got no ideas for Valentine’s? Don’t worry, I have a few.

Yes, the time has come for our grocery aisles to be littered with plush teddy bears, incredibly cheesy Hallmark cards and cheap chocolates: Valentine’s Day. 

Now, I’m not one of those nihilists who think you should revolt against the idea of Valentine’s altogether — I’m a romantic, what can I say? But if you’re going to celebrate the day, you have to commit to doing it right. As a girlfriend who has been a chronic gift-giver (and receiver) since she realized boys didn’t have cooties, here are a few aggressively gentle reminders on how to ensure your partner is happy enough to say you’re written by a woman. 

Figure out their love language. 

First and foremost, you have to know your partner’s love language. 

There are five main ones, important not just because they show how your partner wants to be loved but also because they reveal how they should show their love for you. Especially with newer couples figuring out how to communicate, one of the biggest obstacles is figuring out the difference between loving someone and making them feel loved. 

Everyone seems to think Valentine’s requires some form of gift-giving, but your partner may have a love language that isn’t gift-giving. Do they want a random overpriced stuffed animal, or would they rather you perform an act of service, such as crossing off all the errands on their to-do list for the next couple of weeks? Maybe instead of an extravagant dinner they simply want to hear words of affirmation, or put on a movie and talk all night long. 

If you’re not too sure what their language is, just ask to take a quick quiz or try answering with what you think they’d say to create a heartfelt surprise. Either way, if you can’t tell me how your girlfriend wants you to show your love, you simply don’t deserve her. 

Do they like roses?

The single most associated item with Valentine’s Day is flowers, and rest assured our ripe capitalist economy deeply exploits this

It’s no secret that all flowers get a little pricey around this special day, but roses are especially notorious for their $80 to $100 dollar price tags. With costs like that you definitely want to make sure these colorful bouquets are appreciated, so you have to make sure you buy your partner the correct ones.

As a fellow girly, I firmly believe that the entire female species can be divided into two categories: those who prefer roses and those who don’t. 

I’m not going to try and say every girl who likes roses exhibits a particular set of personality traits, but I can tell you what fondness for these beautiful flowers might represent: classiness, elegance and an overall appreciation for proper queen treatment. She’ll probably enjoy the more traditional gifts like chocolate-covered strawberries and fancy dinners, but make sure you add personal touches so you don’t seem like you’re just doing what everyone else is. To sum this category up, haters will say roses are cliche; to the rose girly, they’re classic. 

But if your partner doesn’t like roses, the real challenge will be staying away from the haphazardly designed grocery store arrangements filled with more stems than flowers. There are many beautiful options that get overlooked, like tulips, peonies, or — my personal favorite — baby’s breath. For these girlys make sure you give hand-written letters or small gifts that show how much you’ve come to know and love them. 

The best way to figure out their floral type is to outright ask or stalk her Pinterest board. Make no mistake, if you get this wrong, you can pretty much consider your relationship over. And girls, get your fellas some flowers, too. Honestly, they might not get their first bouquet until their funeral. 

Don’t forget it’s just one day. 

Many couples fall into the trap of going all out on Valentine’s Day strictly because our consumer culture has taught us that we should. Not only does this defeat the point of celebrating in the first place, but it’s often used as an excuse to overcompensate for an otherwise underwhelming performance throughout the rest of the relationship. 

Girls will always take the guy who doesn’t show up with flowers for Valentine’s but who takes time out of every day to talk with her, brings her favorite snacks and a heating pad when she’s cramping and who will continue to show up in a million other smaller, unnoticed ways. 

Thankfulness shouldn’t be restricted to a random Thursday in November, and neither should your love for your partner on the fourteenth day of February. 

Isabella Garcia is an economics sophomore and opinion writer for The Battalion. 

View Comments (1)