A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Opinion: Welcome to Aggieland!

Aggieland
Photo by Meredith Seaver
Aggieland

Howdy, Class of 2026! I’m thrilled to welcome you to our humble maroon and white university! Texas A&M has over 5,200 acres to call your own and a growing family of more than 73,000 students.
Welcome to you, #73,001!
You are now officially a student of Texas A&M University. Congratulations! If it wasn’t already clear from your New Student Conference, or NSC, you’ll find that A&M is positively brimming with idiosyncrasies. To put it plainly: we put the cult in agriculture. And we’re whoopin’ proud of it.
I was in your place a year ago, newly inducted into the Aggie family and staring my first semester in the face. The experience is daunting; living in a new place, freshly independent, often rooming with someone you don’t even know.
It’s intimidating, and that’s okay. That roommate might be a complete stranger now, but before you know it you guys will be going to Howdy Week activities together and commiserating about ornery professors into the wee hours of the night!
Or not — that’s okay too. I never really got along with my roommate. Regardless, one thing’s for sure: your roomie will walk through that door at the most inopportune times, guaranteed. They’ve got a knack for it. It’s all part of the college experience!
In many ways, college life is going to be very different from anything you’ve done before. But I have faith in you! It’s my hope that, once you’re done reading this, you’ll have a few pointers to succeeding here in Aggieland.
As far as classes go, college is very different from high school. There are no assigned seats, but wherever you sit for your first class is usually where you’ll stay. Also, you don’t have to ask to go to the bathroom — just leave as quietly as you can.
You’ll need to get textbooks yourself, which is a huge ordeal. Make sure to order them online so you’re not waiting hours to check out. That’s not an exaggeration — I stood in line for two and a half hours to get books for my first semester!
Classes and homework assignments can be hard to keep up with. Look at Google Calendar as the Igor to your Dr. Frankenstein — it’ll give you a schedule, reminders, everything. Put all your stuff in there and color code like you’re Professor Utonium. It helps, I promise.
Another way to keep up is to find your study rhythm. There are lots of study space options on campus, from the communal tables at Evans Library to private rooms in Zachry. Pro tip: soundtracks make for amazing study music! I recommend Bloodborne and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
As important as it is, studying isn’t everything — make sure you’re having some fun, too! A&M has over 1000 clubs, most of which will be out on display during MSC Open House. Go find something you enjoy and have some fun!
As great as this sounds, I should warn you: life in Aggieland isn’t all good bull.
As a rule of thumb, always keep an umbrella on you. Rain here is sneaky, and if you’re not used to our fat Texas raindrops … get ready. Also, a word of caution: that puddle is deeper than it looks.
Police out here are as thirsty as the bootchasers. They hand out tickets like nobody’s business, so make sure you follow the speed limit and drive like Meemaw is in the passenger seat.
The cops will also get you for jaywalking off campus. If there’s not a crosswalk, don’t cross there! This includes going diagonally at stoplights. Just wait the extra light cycle — it’s not worth a ticket, trust me.
Don’t let any of that scare you, though. A&M is a fantastic university, and I have no doubt you’ll thoroughly enjoy your time here.
Now, for my last and most important piece of advice: keep your head up.
Some days you gig ‘em, some days you get gigged — that’s just the way it goes. College comes with some wild highs and lows. Just keep your eyes on the prize and keep fighting!
Charis Adkins is an English sophomore and opinion writer for The Battalion.