A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Opinion: Where to study?

Studying
Photo by Kaili Gaston
Studying

Finals have arrived.

Tis’ the season in which students begin to regret skipping all those easy assignments and playing hooky since the second week of class. Listen up, Ags. It’s time to stop procrastinating and start cramming as much information as your over-caffeinated, under-rested brain can handle.

In the spirit of the season, we here at The Battalion’s opinion section have compiled a list of the best study spots on campus. Happy memorizing!

Opinion Editor Ryan Lindner @RyanLindner12  

This one is for all my fellow political science majors — the Bush School. More specifically though, the outside patio area that overlooks the Barbara Bush Rose Garden and Presidential Pond. This little-known spot is rarely busy and is a great place to study if you’re looking for a good view, fresh air and an aesthetic that’s not as depressing as hiding out in Evans Library all day. Park in the Fan Field lot or take bus 5 to the Allen building. You won’t regret it.

Assistant Opinion Editor Ana Sofia Sloane @anasofiasloane  

Ever tried studying in a grocery store? No? You should. Unbeknownst to some, Brookshire Brothers boasts a spacious upstairs area packed with tables of all sizes, plentiful charging outlets and comfy couches. Mere feet below these amenities, an in-house cafe and deli provide any sustenance a hungry college student could possibly desire while writing papers and memorizing equations. Though unconventional, it’s all perfectly convenient: buy a snack, head upstairs and get to work. Who needs the dark-academia aesthetics of libraries and cafes when you can enjoy grocery-store core? Brookie Bros awaits.

Opinion Columnist Charis Adkins @Charis_Batt 

I’ve got three words for you: the Interrogation Chamber. With the soundproof walls and triple-bolted door it’s the perfect study spot. Plus it’s pretty secluded, hidden as it is deep in the underbelly of Schuhmacher Residence Hall behind that fake wall panel. I go there all the time, especially around finals. I would go more often but someone mysteriously called ‘University Official’ always has the room reserved for their various “appointments.”  If you can get a reservation, I’d highly recommend it — I’ve written some of my best papers between those padded walls.

Opinion Columnist Ben Barnes @Ben_Batt24 

Look, there are many unadvertised spots that are not conventionally used for studying around campus such as the third floor of the main rec center by the squash courts or that horticulture skyrise room that is supposedly off-limits to students by Heldenfelds. However, if you really want to know where you can ‘legally’ have a productive study-sesh, try the first floor of the Annex. Everyone is so quick to run to the elevators when they first walk in, but if you march straight to where the desktop computers are that nobody uses, you’ll thank me later.
Opinion Writer Maddie McMurrough @MadsMcmurrough 

Unlike my fellow opinion writers, I don’t like studying on campus. I don’t like studying. Period. But when I do, I study in the comforts of my own home. Most people say, “I can’t focus at home.” Yeah, it’s definitely a personal choice, however as the chatty girl I am, if I see anyone I know, my book will close, and my mouth will open. The best gossip is spilled in Evans Library, I can’t resist. So, studying in public is completely out for me. Plus, my cat, Sookie, is the only study partner I need.

Opinion Writer Isa Garcia @Isa_TheBatt 
Ah, to study alone or not to study alone. Seeing as I am an absolute academic weapon, nobody is more competent than myself when it comes to learning the required content, and as such, group studying is a no-go. Instead, I frequent the cozy-with-a-touch-of-funk Sweet Eugene’s coffee shop on George Bush Dr. and never fail to channel my inner Dostoevsky. However, the best way to truly learn a concept is to teach it to someone else, and nowhere provides more hopelessly confused students than Evans. It usually takes less than five minutes before someone sees my whiteboard and asks me to explain my genius.