Success lies in the journey, not the destination

Alexis Will is a telecommunication media studies senior and creative director for The Battalion. 

When it comes to life so far, I have been exceedingly fortunate. My parents allowed me to attend my college of choice with unrivaled support. I’ve created lifelong, supportive and caring friendships. And most importantly, I’m about to graduate from the greatest university in the world. However, when I started college I wasn’t aware of the adventure that was in store for me.
I ended my freshman semester at the University of Texas at Arlington (hiss), not knowing where I wanted to finish my college career but knowing it wasn’t at UTA. My motivating and loving mother gave me a small ceramic sign for Christmas. It stated, “Success lies in the journey — not in the destination,” in a cheesy blue font. And even with the cheesy font, it hangs right by bedroom door to remind me that no matter the low or highs in life, the voyage is what is paramount.
My college journey is about the times that I spent watching all of the Twilight movies with my roommates, instead of studying. Or staying late at The Battalion office to dance to High School Musical. And all the laughs, smiles, tears and cups of coffee that fill the tiny moments in between.
These countless moments would not have been possible without the people and place that propelled me along the way. To begin my many thanks, I would like to thank Texas A&M. The school that I came for the traditions and I fall in love with more every day. With values such as excellence and selfless service, you have shown me the quality people, in the world and how to remain critical. To all the Aggies in the world, continue to show the outstanding spirit that we adore and protect.
To Doug Pils, the person who encouraged me to be the best journalist I can be. My college career won’t be the same without your relentless support to continue learning and improving both The Battalion and myself. Thank you for all that you do for student media, shaping the future of journalism, reminding all of us about communication and planning and how to do both often.
To all of my friends, who are my personal hype-men. The experiences wouldn’t be the same without you all. All of you have shaped me as a person — Sam, Claire, Taylor, Angel, Gracie, Cassie, Caylea, Katy, Olivia, Grace, Lawrence and many others along the way. And as we all travel in different directions, our bonds will remain unbroken because your friendships will be lifelong. Also, thank you for not sabotaging my graduation.
And finally, thank you to my parents — Kelly and Frank — you have provided me with the world. Reminding me to always follow my dreams no matter how insane or distant they may seem. And as I make my transition into the real world I have no doubt that your guidance will allow me to continue the pursuit to have the full life that you all have intended for me.
As my time ends at Texas A&M, I’m conscious that all my experiences will lead me on my journey to being successful. T’s and G’s.