Take advantage of all opportunities

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Katy Baldock is a agricultural communications and journalism senior and social media editor for The Battalion. 

As I sit here reflecting the past four and a half years at Texas A&M University, I find it nearly impossible to gather all my thoughts and emotions into 500 words.
Four and a half years, 137 class hours, 34 wonderful professors, a Bachelor’s degree, a minor, a yearbook, 15 Snapchat Publisher stories, countless photos, an extremely supportive family, an amazing group of friends and memories to last a lifetime. All in 500 words? Let’s see if I can do this.
When I first came to A&M as a freshman, I was in no way prepared for what was in store for my time here. I had no intentions of ever becoming Editor-in-Chief of the Aggieland yearbook. I never thought I would travel across Namibia for four weeks to learn about photography. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I’d be helping make one of four collegiate Snapchat Publisher stories in the nation.
But that’s the neat thing about A&M — you get so much more than you signed up for. As I reflect on my experiences and changes over the course of my time here, it amazes me how much I have grown in so many ways. I have learned so many valuable lessons through Texas A&M, my classes and Student Media that will help me throughout my life.
My best advice to current and future students is to get out of your comfort zone, take advantage of all the opportunities Texas A&M has to offer and don’t take yourself too seriously. Whether it’s going on that study abroad trip you’ve been looking at, joining an organization that sparks your interest or forming a bond with your favorite professor — I promise you’ll benefit from it in ways you didn’t think possible.
There is no way to accurately express my gratitude to this university and all the wonderful people I’ve encountered along the way.
I am grateful to A&M for providing me with the amazing opportunities that helped me grow in ways I never would have imagined.
I am grateful to my incredible family and parents for their constant love, support and encouragement in everything I do. I appreciate it more than you know.
I am grateful to the outstanding professors who helped shape me as a person, student, writer, photographer and designer, and for the lessons they taught me both in the classroom and in the real world.
I am grateful I was given the opportunity to contribute to the tradition of the Aggieland yearbook and create a memorable piece of Texas A&M that will last for years to come.
I am grateful for Student Media and the skills, experience and friendships I developed while working here.
And I am so incredibly grateful that after I walk the stage and move on to new adventures, I get to carry the spirit of Aggieland and all the memories made here with me. While it is extremely bittersweet to leave this school behind, I am comforted knowing that I can always call Aggieland home.