Photo Courtesy of Maddie Pearson
For the love of birds: Students unite to protect migratory species
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • April 25, 2024

The deadliest building on campus for birds is one dedicated to studying them. At least 23 birds this year have been killed from window collisions...

Texas A&M DL McKinnley Jackson (3), DB Josh DeBerry, DL Fadil Diggs (10) celebrae stopping the ball during a game vs. New Mexico on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023 at Kyle Field.
McKinnley Jackson taken 97th in third round by Cincinnati Bengals
Andrew Paredes, Sports Editor • April 26, 2024

Texas A&M senior DL McKinnley Jackson is saying goodbye to College Station and heading to the Queen City as he was drafted by the Cincinnati...

Texas A&M INF Ted Burton (27) hits a home run during A&Ms game against Georgia on Friday, April 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Bye bye, baseballs
Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Art critic Theresa Lozano says Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department” isn’t as bad as other critics say it is. (Photo courtesy of Republic Records)
Criticism: ‘The Tortured Poets Department’
Theresa Lozano, Life & Arts Writer • April 25, 2024

Rating: 8.8/10 From an anticipated release to a surprise double album at 2 a.m., Taylor Swift put it all out there with her recently released...

‘The once proud Texas is not so proud anymore’

Steve+Patterson
Provided
Steve Patterson

Tuesday afternoon marked the end of a brief, 22 month era at the University of Texas.

After less than two years of being the Athletic Director at his alma mater, Texas A.D. Steve Patterson was relieved of his duties on Tuesday. To a few, it came as a shock. To others, it was something they had been expecting for some time.

Anyone who has followed the history of Patterson knows that simply put, his time at Texas can be described with one word — disaster.

Even in his days at Arizona State, he had issues relating to distinguished alumni and boosters. At Texas, it was no different. One example of this was when the Longhorns honored their 1964 class for their 50th reunion at Darryl K. Royal Stadium. They were told by Patterson that they would have to pay $25 if they wanted to stand on the field — for their own reunion. As one alum so delicately put it, “I was stunned by [Patterson’s] arrogance and avarice.”

Many Texas fans and alumni alike have wanted Patterson fired for some time. Their wish was finally granted on Tuesday.

During his tenure at Texas, there was always mistrust with head football coach Charlie Strong. Some individuals within the Texas system even doubted his allegiance to the school and the Big 12 due to his Larry Scott Pac-12 ideology of expansion. It was of popular belief that he was never really fully invested in the program and pledged more allegiance to Scott than the university.

In his short 22 month employment, he has seen his football program go from prominence to near the Big 12 doormat. The once proud Texas is not so proud anymore.

Now, more than ever, the Texas Longhorn athletic program sits in the shadows of the state of Texas. They are left behind in the trail of dust left by TCU, Texas A&M, Baylor and even Houston (yes, seriously), who have become the state’s real power teams. The power in the state has swung: and it might be permanent.
Behind him, Patterson leaves a trail of disaster from his time at Texas. One from which it might take them some time to recover. One thing is for sure — the situation facing the Texas Longhorns in 2015 is going to make for one rough year. Buckle up, Texas fans. It’s about to get bumpy.

Andre Perrard is a sport management senior and sports reporter for The Battalion.