Photo Courtesy of Maddie Pearson
For the love of birds: Students unite to protect migratory species
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • April 25, 2024

The deadliest building on campus for birds is one dedicated to studying them. At least 23 birds this year have been killed from window collisions...

Texas A&M DL McKinnley Jackson (3), DB Josh DeBerry, DL Fadil Diggs (10) celebrae stopping the ball during a game vs. New Mexico on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023 at Kyle Field.
McKinnley Jackson taken 97th in third round by Cincinnati Bengals
Andrew Paredes, Sports Editor • April 26, 2024

Texas A&M senior DL McKinnley Jackson is saying goodbye to College Station and heading to the Queen City as he was drafted by the Cincinnati...

Texas A&M INF Ted Burton (27) hits a home run during A&Ms game against Georgia on Friday, April 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Bye bye, baseballs
Incoming Blinn transfer recounts her Title IX experience
Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Editor’s note: This article contains detailed descriptions of sexual assault that may be uncomfortable to some readers. Reader discretion is...

Art critic Theresa Lozano says Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department” isn’t as bad as other critics say it is. (Photo courtesy of Republic Records)
Criticism: ‘The Tortured Poets Department’
Theresa Lozano, Life & Arts Writer • April 25, 2024

Rating: 8.8/10 From an anticipated release to a surprise double album at 2 a.m., Taylor Swift put it all out there with her recently released...

Staying hot in the cold

A&M women’s swim & dive picks up another road win over TCU
Photo by Chris Swann/The Battalion

Senior swimmer Abby Grottle prepares to dive during the 2023 Art Adamson Invitational at the Texas A&M Natatorium on Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2023. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Though temperatures have begun to drop, the No. 11 Texas A&M women’s swimming & diving team stayed hot and extended its win streak with a 176-116 victory over TCU on Friday, Nov. 12. 

Continuing their road meet trip to begin the new year, the Maroon and White were fresh off a win at Houston and picked up where they left off with a first place win in the 200-yard medley relay. Headlined by freshmen Miranda Grana and Hannah O’Leary with seniors Olivia Theall and Jordan Buechler, they clocked in at one minute and 42.02 seconds.

Sophomore Rachel Love added onto the early lead for the Aggies with a first place finish in the 1,000-yard freestyle, touching the wall at 10:06.39.

The sprint-freestyle events were dominated by senior Chloe Stepanek as she finished first in both the 100-yard and 200-yard freestyle, with times of 50.32 and 1:48.21, respectively.

Kicking off her individual events, Grana started off hot with a win in the 100-yard backstroke, finishing at 53.22. Junior Kaitlyn Owens was right behind her, touching the wall at 55.23 and nabbing second place.

A&M saw its first 1-2-3 finish in the 200-yard butterfly as freshman Katie Walker notched the top-spot with 2:00.78 while juniors Sarah Holt and Joelle Reddin touched the wall shortly after at 2:05.04 and 2:05.79, respectively. 

On the heels of sweeping the diving events against Houston, sophomore Joslyn Oakley dived into first place again as she swept the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events with scores of 395.80 and 337.15. Sophomore Mayson Richards scored a second place score in 1m diving with a score of 347.00 to push the lead for the Maroon and White.

A&M continued its dominance in backstroke as junior Aviv Barzelay grabbed first place in the 200-yard backstroke with 1:59.87. Senior Abigail Ahrens secured second place with 2:00.92 to score a 1-2 finish for the Aggies.

Grana picked up where she left off as she won another event in the 100-yard butterfly, touching the wall at 54.61 while Walker finished right behind her at 56.08.

Senior Abby Grottle grabbed the last distance event for the Aggies with a first place finish in the 500-yard freestyle at 4:57.82.

Theall showed off with second place finishes in the 50-yard freestyle and 100 freestyle with 23.37 and 51.63 and closed out with a strong first place showing in the 200-yard individual medley at 2:03.16.

Next up, the Maroon and White will finish their last road meet of the trip with a dual-meet matchup against LSU on Jan. 20 at 10 a.m.