Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Wilder: My time at A&M has prepared me for years to come

File

Chris Wilder has been a Yell Leader for two years and served as the 2016-2017 Head Yell Leader.

Aggies, as my time as a student here at Texas A&M comes to a close, I’ve begun to think of all that Aggieland has meant to me. As a first-generation Aggie, my real exposure to the Spirit began during high school when I went to my first Fightin’ Texas Aggie football game. Witnessing the Yell Leaders at Midnight Yell Practice, the Corps during their march in before the game and the 12th Man stand and yell for the entire game turned out to be an incredible first taste of Aggieland. I knew it was special. As I began to learn about traditions like Silver Taps, Aggie Muster, The Big Event and the Aggie Ring — among others — it was apparent to me that Texas A&M truly was a place I could call home for four years.  
My advice to anyone reading this: Enjoy every moment. From the best memories you make in college to the times you wish you could disappear when nothing is working out in your favor, take every opportunity as a chance to learn and grow. When you feel like you’re on top of the world, appreciate everything you have and everyone who has helped you get to where you are. When you feel like nothing is going right, attack life with a positive mindset with the knowledge that difficult times will pass. The way you handle difficult times will be something you carry with you forever. My time at Texas A&M has helped to develop me into the man I am today and the man I want to be someday. I want to be a better man, brother, son, Aggie, follower of Christ and hopefully even a husband and father someday. God has placed Texas A&M in my life and helped to equip me for all that is to come. Is the future uncertain? Always. But I have confidence in my God and in the way He has shaped in the last four years. I am ready for the next chapter because He has prepared me.
I am truly thankful for my family and all they’ve done for me and for the friendships I’ve made here that will last a lifetime. I could not be more grateful for my time here in Aggieland, and I wish everyone the best.
Thanks, Gig ‘Em, and God Bless!
Chris Wilder is an economics senior and senior yell leader