2017 Signing Day to bring in 26 players, 9 early enrollees

Photo by File

Head coach Kevin Sumlin will welcome in the 2017 football class Wednesday.

National Signing Day is upon us, and A&M football head coach Kevin Sumlin and his staff are looking to wrap up a solid 2017 recruiting class currently ranked 10th in the country, according to 247sports.com. The Aggies have a total of 26 commits in this class, with nine already enrolled in school and ready for spring practice.

The nine early enrollees include the four highest ranked commits in the class. Linebacker Anthony Hines III, quarterback Kellen Mond, receiver Jhamon Ausbon and receiver Hezekiah Jones are all ranked in the top 180 nationally and top 30 in their respective states.

Hines is the highest ranked player in the class at 63rd nationally and is also the second-ranked inside linebacker in the country. The Plano East native recorded 245 total tackles and 38 tackles for loss in his senior season. Mond is originally from San Antonio, but transferred to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida for his senior season, where he recorded 1,803 passing yards, with 19 touchdowns to just three interceptions.

Ausbon, who originally committed to LSU, was Mond’s teammate at IMG Academy and is the 10th-ranked receiver in the country. Jones is from Stafford High School in Stafford and racked up 14 receiving touchdowns his senior year.

The five other early enrollees include IMG Academy linebacker Santino Marchiol, Plain Dealing (LA) safety Keldrick Carper, Pearland quarterback Connor Blumrick, Birdville of- fensive lineman Jared Hocker and Bremond athlete Roshauud Paul.

Paul may not be ranked very high, but he is widely considered as one of the best Texas high school football players of all time. Paul named Dave Campbell’s “Mr. Texas Football” and the Associated Press Sports Editors Class 2A player of the year in his final high school season. While playing quarterback, Paul led Bremond High School to three straight state championships and racked up 5896 passing yards with 69 passing touchdowns, adding 6339 rushing yards and 107 rushing touchdowns in those three years.The high school quarterback will make the switch to receiver in college for the Aggies.

The other 17 commits in the class will be signing, or making their final decision on National Signing Day Wednesday. Commits who will sign, barring a last minute decision, include Manvel safety Derrick Tucker, Bellaire defensive tackle Jayden Peevy, Cy-Creek offensive lineman Grayson Reed, Magnolia West safety Myles Jones, Cedar Hill receiver Camron Buckley, Katy Taylor tight end Camron Horry, St. John’s College High School (DC) defensive end Tyree Johnson, Caldwell cornerback Devin Morris, Meeker (OK) offensive lineman Adrian Wolford, Port Neches-Groves tight end Keynel McZeal, West Brook offensive lineman Dan Moore, Christian Life Academy (LA) running back Jacob Kibodi, Hutto defensive end Ondario Robinson, Southlake Carroll offensive lineman Carson Green and Pearland Safety Debione Renfro.

Sumlin and staff also picked up a junior college commit from defensive end Michael Clemons. Clemons is the 22nd-ranked junior college player in the country, and third-ranked junior college defensive end in the country. At Cisco Junior College, Clemons recorded 30 tackles and 8.5 tackles for loss last year.
Two Aggie targets will make their decision on National Signing Day, including current A&M commit Devodrick Johnson, and defensive tackle Joshua Rogers. Johnson is a linebacker from Kimball High School and plans to make his decision Tuesday night between the Aggies and Baylor Bears. Rogers is from Houston Christian and will make his decision between the Aggies and Ole Miss Rebels.