5 things to look out for during the A&M-ULM game

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

12th Man Cullen Gillaspia leads the team out onto the field before the game.

1.) The ascension of Kendrick Rogers.
It’s no secret that the wideout had the game of his life against Clemson, with seven receptions and 120 yards that placed him in the endzone twice. Rogers’ athleticism allowed him to grab some unreal passes last week, including a play where he jumped two Clemson defenders in the endzone for his first score of the game. Rogers will be one of the top targets in A&M’s coming games, and he’s clearly a player that can make big-time contributions every week.
2.) Dominance on the offensive line
There was a clear improvement on the line of scrimmage this week. As predicted last week, the physicality of the O-Line has been the difference in how this offense operates. Even though running back Trayveon Williams didn’t have an amazing performance, the pass blocking gave quarterback Kellen Mond more than enough time to make a play, and it won’t stop this week. The run game will definitely be back in full force and Mond will will have days in the pocket. With ULM and then a road trip to Tuscaloosa coming up, the mindset remains the same in the trenches.
3.) The Kellen Mond effect
A&M has found their quarterback for the foreseeable future. Mond has surpassed expectations, improving in the air and being productive on his legs when he needs to be. He is also one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the country. Mond ranks 12th nationally in total QBR, and 4th in the SEC. With a lineup of capable receivers around him and Mond looking more comfortable in the pocket, fans could be seeing another 350-plus yard performance this weekend.
4.) Nick Starkel looking for a fresh start
It was clear that Starkel did not exactly have the performance he wanted against Clemson. However, against a much diluted opponent like Louisiana-Monroe, he will more than likely get a few quality drives in. Some fans do not want to see him step on the field again, but it’s vital for the Aggies’ backup quarterback to get his mojo at the very least. A&M needs him at his best for whenever he’s needed.
5.) A clear chip on the shoulder
Jimbo Fisher said he does not believe in moral victories, and it was clear the team was visibly infuriated at the end of last week’s game. This team is hungry and will come into this next game with a head full of steam. There have been significant strides toward becoming a more intense and physical team over the past few months, but he hasn’t seen even half of what this team can become. A&M’s level of play is only going to increase on both sides of the ball, bringing a new level of competitiveness going into conference play in a couple of weeks.