5 things to watch for during A&M-Kentucky

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Sophomore Mia Miller runs out with Reveille IX before the Southwest Classic where Texas A&M will take on University of Arkansas.

1. Kentucky’s lack of passing game
Kentucky is a run-heavy offense in every sense of the term. Wildcat quarterback Terry Wilson is an athletic dual-threat quarterback that hasn’t thrown more than 163 yards in a single game this season. Wilson has thrown twice as many interceptions as touchdown passes, and hasn’t thrown for a touchdown since the Wildcats visited Florida in week two. Wilson’s silver lining is that he is comparable to Kellen Mond in running ability and is not afraid to leave the pocket or scramble on any play.
2. Benny Snell Jr. remains unstoppable
Say hello to the sole producer of points on offense. Snell has been the standout running back in all of college football this season, earning himself a spot in the Heisman Trophy race after rushing for 165 yards and four touchdowns against then-No. 14 Mississippi State. He is often seen in a read option, on designed runs or taking snaps directly from the center to gain significant yardage. Snell leads all SEC running backs and is patient and shifty behind the line of scrimmage when trying to find a hole, making him difficult to take down. He holds the third highest all-time rushing yard total at Kentucky and could become the all-time leading rusher at the end of the season.
3. Kellen Mond’s redemption
Mond has seen some struggles over the past two games. All four picks he’s thrown this season have been against No. 1 Alabama and Arkansas, mostly due to underthrown passes. Both of his picks against Arkansas were thrown in too tight of a space, with as many as three defenders around the ball. His mistakes are easier to fix going into this week’s game with a friendly crowd at his back. Mond’s awareness will also have to improve, especially with how talented Kentucky’s defensive front is. Kentucky ranks 29th in the nation in passing yards allowed, so Mond will have to step up in this pivotal matchup.
4. New faces filling in for Jhamon Ausbon
The absence of Ausbon, due to a broken foot, is undoubtedly one of the biggest losses A&M will sustain this year. Sophomore wide receivers Roshauud Paul and Hezikiah Jones are among the players who will see significant game time on Saturday night in place of Ausbon. One of the best things about the A&M receiving corps is how unpredictable they can be from week to week. The Aggies are more than difficult to plan for in the passing game, and it will show this week.
5. A&M’s offensive line vs. Kentucky’s front
This Wildcat defense is nothing to joke about. Kentucky has not allowed more than 20 points all season, shutting down quarterbacks like Mississippi State’s Nick Fitzgerald and South Carolina’s Jake Bentley. Edge rusher Josh Allen has been a force, piling up 10.5 tackles for loss and six sacks which have included three sacks against South Carolina. A&M may double-team Allen to give Mond more time in the pocket and capitalize on the loss of suspended linebacker Kash Daniel in the first half to create big plays. Daniel is tied for first in tackles for the Wildcats.