56-23 Aggies dominate in first half

Photo by: Lawrence Smelser
Kyle Allen #10
5 TAKEAWAYS FROM SATURDAY’S GAME
1: Kyle Allen put himself in an excellent position for the starting job
In Saturday’s runaway 56-23 win over Ball State, Kyle Allen did not put up record-breaking numbers but was solid all night, making crisp, accurate throws and running the of- fense with precision. He was 10 for 13 with 126 yards and three touch- downs through the air. He showed his ability to scramble and extend plays when the pocket broke down.
2: The defense was sharp, once again
The first string defense was on their game again Saturday night. The stat sheet didn’t stand out for the defensive line, as they tallied one sack, but that was mostly at- tributed to the rush-heavy offense of Ball State. After allowing a field goal on the first drive, the Aggie de- fense forced five punts and added in a pick-six to help A&M to a 49-3 advantage at the half. Ball State was 0-for-8 on third down in the first half, and only managed three first downs during the half. The defense will face more difficult challenges, but this was a good chemistry builder for the weeks ahead.
3: A&M has a stable of running backs
After James White went down with an injury last week, some questioned the depth at running back beyond Tra Carson. A&M got its answer on Saturday night, as two unfamiliar names came in and made a big-time impact. Former walk-on Brice Dolezal showed off his breakaway speed on a touchdown run in the first half, and garnered 83 yards on the ground. Then, freshman Kwame Etwi came in and rushed for 116 yards, averaging 9.7 yards per carry in the process. If anything is clear, the Aggies have plenty of depth in the backfield at all positions.
4: Christian Kirk might be one of the most electrifying players in the country
In week one, Kirk was jumpy and anxious to return a kickoff or punt to the house, and accomplished that with a 79-yarder against Arizona State. While he did not score on special teams this week, he showed off his speed and shiftiness, making the defense and return team look silly. He had 67 punt return yards and 134 all-purpose yards in the game. Kirk will be a nightmare for opposing coaches in the coming years.
5: The transition of Brandon Williams to corner has been successful
Changing positions can be a challenging thing for a football player. Brandon Williams moved from running back to cornerback this offseason, and so far, the move has paid off for the John Chavis defense. His athletic ability makes him suitable for the cornerback position. He does not fill out the stat sheet with big-time numbers, but his coverage on receivers has been outstanding. He adds a spark to the Aggie secondary, and overall, the transition to the new position has worked well for him and Chavis.