A look back at last 25 years of Battalion sports coverage

Photo by Aaron Foster Cranford
125 Batt Sports

Since The Battalion’s centennial birthday 25 years ago, Aggie sports have seen a plethora of changes, including a move to a new conference, multiple national championships and new coaches.
In 2009, 2010 and 2011 the men’s and women’s track and field teams each won three straight national outdoor track titles.
Women’s basketball won its first national championship over Notre Dame 76-70, due largely to Tyra White and Danielle Adams’ stellar performances.
In an article on April 6, 2011 in the special edition celebrating the victory, The Battalion reported that White “played with ice in her veins” while Adams “came up with the All-American performance needed from her on the big stage.”
The national championship was the first in program history. Eight years prior, The Battalion had reported that with the arrival of A&M head coach Gary Blair, Texas A&M was finally positioned to be the best team in the country.
“In eight years, Blair had literally built the program from the ground up,” the article in the championship special section stated.
Then, history was made again as A&M announced that it was leaving the Big 12 to join the Southeastern Conference on July 2, 2011, though it would not compete in the SEC until the following season.
The Sept. 26, 2011 edition of The Battalion stated that A&M was officially and unanimously voted into the conference. Then-University President R. Bowen Loftin said joining the SEC would offer new opportunities for the athletic programs and the university as a whole.
“The Southeastern Conference provides Texas A&M the national visibility that our great university and our student athletes deserve,” Loftin said. “This is 100-year decision that we have addressed carefully and methodically, and I believe the Southeastern Conference gives the Aggies the best situation of any conference in the country.”
Not long after, Johnny Manziel dazzled his way from a backup quarterback to the best in college football. The elusive, magician-like player became the second Heisman trophy winner in A&M’s history.
With the instant success A&M found its first two years in the SEC, the administration began approving funding to renovate facilities across campus. At the start of 2013, discussions about redeveloping Kyle Field began. In a Jan. 17, 2013 article, The Battalion reported A&M and Bryan-College Station city administrations were working together on a plan.
“Texas A&M administrators and B-CS community leaders announced an agreement in principle to financially support the Kyle Field Redevelopment Project,” the article stated. “Such an agreement would generate $36 million of the $420 million needed to renovate and expand Kyle Field, as well as keep football games in College Station.”
Two years after the article was published, the Kyle Field redevelopment was completed in time for the 2015 football season. In an article from Sept. 11, 2015 The Battalion reported that, “The 12th Man will still head to Kyle Field — just a bigger, louder, state-of-the-art version of the one before.” The Aggies won their home opener over Ball State 56-23 that year.
The move to the SEC was beneficial to more than just the football team. In 2016, the men’s basketball team won the SEC conference championship. On March 5, 2016 The Battalion reported live from Reed Arena as the Aggies were crowned champions.
“Texas A&M won its first conference championship in 30 years and its first SEC title after defeating Vanderbilt 76-67 in a dominant performance Saturday,” the article stated.
On April 28, 2017, Myles Garrett became the first player in school history to be selected No. 1 overall in the NFL Draft.
“For the first time in school history, the Aggies had one of their own hear their name called first,” the article said.
Dec. 4, 2017 marked the start of a new era for A&M. The athletic department held a special press conference to introduce Jimbo Fisher as the Aggies new head football coach. Fisher signed a $75 million dollar fully-guaranteed contract.
The Battalion reported that A&M athletic director Scott Woodward was instrumental in convincing Fisher to leave his head coaching job at Florida State, and orchestrated a successful contract negotiation.
“Woodward said bringing Fisher to A&M is just another confirmation that Aggieland has what it takes to attract high profile coaches who have had previous success,” the Dec. 4 article stated.
As the world of sports in Aggieland continues to change drastically, The Battalion will continue to report diligently on the players, coaches and staff of A&M athletics.

• Johnny Manziel won Texas A&M’s second Heisman Trophy in 2012. 

Photo by FILE