A matchup comparison by position for saturday’s game

Comparison
File
Comparison

Quarterbacks:

Texas A&M quarterback Kyle Allen ranks fourth in the SEC in passing yards with 1,274, second in the SEC in passing touchdowns and third in fewest interceptions thrown with a conference-leading quarterback rating of 169.

Alabama quarterback Jake Coker ranks sixth in the SEC in total passing yards at 1,238, third in passing touchdowns and has a quarterback rating of 134.5. Coker also has the longest pass completed play in the conference that went for 81 yards.

Who has the Edge? 

Kyle Allen 

A&M’s offense is more centered around the passing game while Alabama prefers to hand it off. This aides Allen, especially with his lethal receiving corps. Although Jake Coker has been sacked less than Allen, Coker lacks the play extending ability that Allen has with his feet. Allen has rushed for 136 yards to Coker’s 90 yards. 

Running Backs:

Despite the fact that Texas A&M’s offense focuses more on passing rather than rushing, running back Tra Carson is still racking up more yards this season than last, ranking ninth among SEC running backs with 95 carries for 430 rushing yards. Carson is also ranked sixth in the conference for rushing touchdowns at four for the season.

Alabama’s offensive scheme is centered around running back Derrick Henry, who is ranked fourth among SEC running backs with 665 rushing yards on 120 carries and second in the conference for rushing touchdowns at 10 for the season. 

Who has the Edge?

Derrick Henry

Since Alabama’s offense focuses more on the rushing aspect of football, Henry has more rushing attempts than Carson, and since Henry also ranks in the top 10 for each of the following categories: rushing yards, attempts, yards per attempt and total rushing touchdowns, Henry is relied on heavily by the offense to be their workhorse in charge of igniting Alabama’s run game.

Wide Receivers:

Texas A&M wide receiver Christian Kirk leads the SEC in receiving yards with 32 receptions for 519 yards. Kirk is tied for second among SEC competition for touchdown receptions with four on the season. The Aggie also belongs to a talented receiving corps that features the likes of Josh Reynolds, Speedy Noil and Ricky Seals-Jones who are all downfield threats for A&M.

Although Alabama’s offense is headlined by wide receiver Calvin Ridley who has shown promise, ranking eighth in the SEC in receiving yards with 31 receptions for 318 yards, the Crimson Tide can still feel the void left by the exit of All-American wide receiver Amari Cooper.

Who has the Edge?

Christian Kirk and Co.

With Christian Kirk accompanied by the rest of the dangerous Aggie receiving corps, A&M wins this matchup. Kirk’s speed and versatility make him a downfield threat, his play making ability is among the best in the country regardless of classification and in turn, A&M’s passing game is much stronger than that of the Crimson Tide.

Defense

The Texas A&M defense ranks second in the SEC for total sacks (19) and third in yards lost per sack. The Aggie defense, showcasing a strong secondary group is seventh in the SEC for passed deflected with a season total of 23. A&M is ranked second in the conference in passing defense only allowing 93 of 156 pass completions and 961 totals yards. The Aggie rush defense is ranked eighth in the SEC allowing 182.6 yards per game.

The Alabama defense is fifth in the SEC for total sacks with 16 as well as yards lost per sack. The Crimson Tide is ranked first in the SEC for passes deflected for season total of 37. Alabama is ranked sixth in the conference in passing defense allowing 113 of 221 pass completions for a total of 1123 yards.  The rushing defense for the Tide is the best in the SEC allowing 77.3 yards per game.

Who has the Edge?

Passing

Texas A&M

A&M wins the defensive passing match-up there are many big play makers on the roster, like defensive lineman Myles Garrett and Daeshon Hall who have incredible speed off the edge which should cause some headaches for the Alabama offensive line and pressure quarterback Jake Coker to speed through his throws. This could lead to big time mistakes, and with defensive backs De’Vante Harris and Donovan Wilson who have six combined turnovers on the season, this could potentially harm the Crimson Tide in the long run.

Rushing

Alabama

The Texas A&M rush defense  still struggles with strong rushing teams, allowing 182.6 yards a game. Defensive ends Myles Garrett and Daeshon Hall still have trouble defending the ground attack, and with freshman Daylon Mack and Julien Obioha switching his position, A&M is very much vulnerable. Alabama’s best facet to its defense is opposing the run, as the Crimson Tide is the best in the SEC statistically.