Aggie football begins Fall camp

Photo by Vanessa Pena

Coach Sumlin with players as they prepare for drills on the first day of Fall camp

After much anticipation, the Aggie football team finally took to the practice fields Monday afternoon to begin their 2015 campaign. 
The Texas A&M football program has had an exciting and busy off-season, as any SEC West team should expect. Fall camp has been starting up all around the nation and Head Coach Kevin Sumlin said that although the longer summer has proved beneficial to the players, they were ready to go out and get started. 
“They’ve been excited for a while – don’t kid yourself, they’ve been watching television the last week and watching the SEC Network go all over the country,” Sumlin said. “It’s been a long off-season which is OK, our guys have  taken advantage of it from a strength and conditioning standpoint. We’ve had two complete months of strength and conditioning – it’s probably why we have almost everyone healthy coming into this thing is because we’ve had that much time.” 
One of the main points of focus in this camp will be the competition at the quarterback position. Kyle Allen returned to practice Monday as fired up as anyone and made sure to set the tone from the get go. He will be splitting reps with freshman, Kyler Murray who enters camp as one of the most heralded recruits in A&M’s recent history. Also in the mix in the backfield this Fall is sophomore transfer, Jake Hubenak who walked on to the team at Oklahoma State in 2013 and spent his 2014 season with Blinn Junior College.  
“All three guys got in and operated and obviously Kyle came back doing things well, Kyler has picked it up well and Jake benefits from being at Oklahoma State for a little bit from a structural standpoint so he understands,” Sumlin said. “Those guys came in and really didn’t make too many mistakes from an operational standpoint, if any, and the competition level is pretty good.”
Coming into camp discussion has arisen concerning the weight of five-star recruit, Daylon Mack. The freshman defensive tackle was listed at 335 lbs. on the roster released before practice. 
“Daylon, he got here, and he’s going to get mad, but we had to sit down and talk to him, the first couple of days he was here I don’t think the scale worked, he was at 350,” Sumlin said. “Coaches sat him down and to his credit from a nutritional standpoint changed his diet a little bit and he’s lost between 12 and 15 pounds. That’s what a summer program does instead of guys coming in and trying to play their way into shape. Guys come from programs where they are the best guy not just in their high school but in their district so they just go out there and play and now they figure out ‘Hey, I got to take care of my body on a day-to-day basis.’”
Overall, Coach Sumlin seemed satisfied with the first day of action. He insisted that the first couple of days hold emphasis on getting the young guys acclimated to the speed and routine. 
A&M will get back on the field Tuesday at 5:45 pm. 

• Players warm up before their first practice on Monday evening.

Photo by Vanessa Pena
  • Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen running through passing drills during the first day of practice 

Photo by Vanessa Peña
  • Aggie special teams run drills during the first day of football camp

Photo by Vanessa Peña
  • Kyle Whitley running routes during Monday’s football practice 

Photo by Vanessa Peña
  • A&M quarterbacks and receivers  going through drills during Monday’s football practice 

Photo by Vanessa Peña
  • Morgan Whatley leaping for a catch on the first day of football camp

Photo by Vanessa Peña
  • Players warm up during their first practice Monday evening.

Photo by Vanessa Peña
  • Coach Sumlin

Photo by Wesley Holmes