Aggie golf teams cap off successful weekends

Photo by Courtesy of Texas A&M athletics

Junior Chandler Phillips claimed top individual honors at the Badger Invitational held at the University of Wisconsin golf course in Madison, Wisconsin. 

Men’s golf takes Badger Invitational, Phillips wins individual title
The Texas A&M men’s golf team won the Badger Invitational this past weekend, with junior Chandler Phillips taking the overall individual medal at the University of Wisconsin Golf Course in Madison, Wisconsin.
The Aggies were 25-under as a team (839), and Phillips shot 12-under (204), a Badger Invitational record. A&M finished six strokes ahead of second place, and carded the fourth-lowest team score in school history.
“What a great way to start off the year,” Texas A&M head coach J.T. Higgins told 12thMan.com. “Team set the tournament’s scoring record and Chandler gets a win, I’m really proud and happy for everybody. I think we’ve got a really solid team and I’m excited to see what we can do this year.”
Three other Aggies finished in the top-15, as freshman Reese Ramsey placed sixth after shooting 6-under (210) for the weekend in his A&M debut. Senior Andrew Paysse finished 10th at 4-under (212), as his third round 69 allowed him to rise eight spots on the leaderboard during the final day. Sophomore Brandon Smith shot 3-under (213) to place 13th.
Freshman Walker Lee rounded out the team action finishing tied 70th at 11-over (227).
“I’m also really proud of Andrew today,” Higgins added. “He started off with a triple bogey on his second hole and comes back to make seven birdies and shot three-under. I’m also excited for Reese Ramsey, who finished sixth in his first college tournament by playing really solid golf. Great team effort, three guys in the top-10 and two more in the top-20. Just a great way to start the season.”
The men’s golf team will be back on the course Sept. 15-17 when they travel to Olympia Fields, Illinois to compete in the OFCC Fighting Illini Invitational.
Szeryk finishes second at Jim West Challenge
Senior Maddie Szeryk placed second at the Jim West Challenge in The Woodlands this past weekend, shooting 10-under (203).
“I think overall, my putting was really good, and I had some really good wedges, so that’s encouraging,” Szeryk told 12thMan.com.
Overall, the Texas A&M women’s golf team placed fifth with a team score of 1-under (851).
“I can’t be more proud of our freshmen, they showed a lot of guts and a lot of grit this week,” Texas A&M head coach Trelle McCombs told 12thMan.com. “We did a lot of good things this week, they’re buying into what we’re telling them. If we keep doing that, we will be in good shape.”
Szeryk finished three strokes behind individual champion Leona Maguire from Duke, as three Aggies finished in top-20. Sophomore Courtney Dow placed ninth at 4-under (209) as freshman Amber Park took 20th overall at even-par (213).
The women’s golf team hits the links again Sept. 23-25 at the Schooner Fall Classic in Norman, Oklahoma.

• Senior Maddie Szeryk finished second at the Jim West Challenge this past weekend, shooting 10-under (203).