Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Aggie golfers tee it up for Valero Texas Open tourney

Photo by File

Ryan Palmer tied for sixth in last year’s Valero Texas Open.

Three former Texas A&M golfers will participate in this weekend’s Valero Texas Open. The tournament will be held in San Antonio at the TPC San Antonio golf course, three hours away from where the Aggies mastered the craft in College Station. 
The former students participating are Bronson Burgoon and Martin Piller, who are playing their first full season on the PGA Tour, and longtime-tour veteran Ryan Palmer. Burgoon and Piller will aim to capture their first PGA Tour win, and Palmer will attempt to win his first since 2010.
Burgoon and Piller were teammates for three seasons at A&M from 2005-2008. Burgoon is a well-known Aggie golfer and is most remembered for his shot that sealed the 2009 National Championship for Texas A&M.
Burgoon has been impressive in his first season on tour. The Woodlands native is 109th in the FedEx Cup rankings ahead of stars such as Ian Poulter, Hunter Mahan and Keegan Bradley. The 28-year-old has made nine cuts this season out of 14 events played, including four top-25 finishes. 
Piller, who played at A&M from 2005-2009, has played in nine tournaments this season and has made the cut in five of them and has tallied one top-25 finish. Last season on the Web.com Tour, Piller managed to win two tournaments and finished in the top-10 five times. 
Palmer will return to the Valero Texas Open seeking a victory after he finished in a tie for sixth with Dustin Johnson in last year’s tournament. This season the world’s 79th-ranked player has accumulated four Top 25 finishes in 11 events. 
The total purse for the tournament is $6.2 million with the winner receiving $1,116,000. Last year’s winner, 37-year-old Jimmy Walker, will be in the field to try and defend his title. 
The Valero Texas Open will begin Thursday and run through Sunday. Palmer will be the first Aggie to tee-off at 8 a.m. followed by Burgoon at 9 a.m. and Piller at 9:10 a.m. Thursday and Friday’s action will be broadcast by the Golf Channel, and Saturday and Sunday’s will be broadcast by the Golf Channel from 1-2:30 p.m. and CBS from 2:30-5 p.m.