Aggie grad Maggie Malone victorious at Michael Johnson Invitational

On Friday in Waco, Aggie alum Maggie Malone won the javelin competition at the Michael Johnson Invitational hosted by Baylor University. Malone had a throw of 182 feet, 7 inches (55.67) in her first event in two years.
Friday’s action for A&M included men’s hammer, men’s and women’s javelin, an open men’s pole vault, and the women’s 5,000m.
The Aggies’ Celine Markert led the current Texas A&M student athletes in the women’s javelin competition with third-place. Markert had a throw of 159-4 (47.62). Jenna Ellis followed with a throw of 145-6 to finish in sixth place. Natalie Scheifele had a throw of 134-1 and finished in ninth.
“I had a stinger today while warming up, so I didn’t think I was going to throw,” Malone said to 12thman.com. “I wanted to get all six throws in to get a meet under my belt. Now it’s time to put the work in. Still, my goal is 2020.”
Since Malone is still eyeing the upcoming olympic games but is also entering the professional world, she is adjusting to her new schedule.
“It’s been weird getting back into throwing since I’m working now. It’s finding a new rhythm and balance for all that. It’s been hard and different, but I have an awesome support system and friends. I’m excited for the season.”
Texas A&M’s Malone had an opening throw of 167-7 (51.09) – the throw was followed by three fouls. Malone had her best throw of the day during round five, finishing with a 171-4 (52.24). Ashtin Zamzow, a heptathlete from Texas, was runner-up to Malone with a throw of 160-2 (48.81).
The Aggies’ KJ Grimes placed fifth in the men’s hammer, having a career best throw of 183-7 (55.97) in the process, which moved the stellar athlete to No. 6 on the Texas A&M all-time list. Grimes, who had a prior career best of 174-0 (53.03), opened today’s invitational with a throw of 179-6 (54.71) and improved to a mark of 183-7 in the final round on Friday. Josh Brown placed eleventh after improving his best toss by ten inches with a mark of 170-11 (52.11).
Logan Freeman of the Aggies finished third in pole vault after clearing a height of 16-0 ¾ (4.90) to improve his outdoor best of 15-7, which was set at UTSA in March. Devin Norton placed sixth in the 5,000m after clocking a time of 18:06.33. Decathlete Nathan Hite finished in seventh place in the javelin competition with a mark of 173-11 (52.02).
Texas A&M’s men and women each were ranked No. 2 by USTFCCCA. The field at the Michael Johnson Invitational consists of No. 1 Texas Tech on the men’s side along with No. 12 Baylor, No. 13 Texas, and No. 24 Arkansas. On the women’s side ranked teams include No. 11 Kansas State, No. 15 Texas, and No. 18 Texas Tech. The other colleges in the meet are Abilene Christian, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Northern Illinois (women), TCU and Barton County.