Texas A&M Chancellor John Sharp speaks to President Mark A. Welsh III during a Board of Regents meeting appointing Welsh as President of Texas A&M University on Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2023. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
A&M System Chancellor John Sharp announces retirement
Sharp to stay in position until June 30, 2025
Fans chant “ball five” during Texas A&M’s game against Oregon at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Super Regional at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 9, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
A&M baseball expected to hire Washington’s Jason Kelly as pitching coach
Luke White, Sports Editor • June 30, 2024

Texas A&M’s baseball coaching staff is beginning to take shape after Sunday, June 30’s hiring of Michael Earley as head coach. The Aggies...

TAMU Maroon poses with the trophy after winning the College Valorant Championship on Sunday, June 9th.
Texas A&M Esports club shines as student-run sports club
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • June 26, 2024

Texas A&M has another championship-winning sports team. Completely student-run and with over 2,900 members in their Discord server, they...

Texas A&M Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle reacts to a call during Texas A&M’s game against Georgia at Olsen Field on Saturday, April 27, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Satire: Meet Mr. Schlossnagle
Chendrick LamarJune 26, 2024

Dear Texas University, I’m sorry that man is your coach, let me be honest It takes a man to be a man, unfortunately, he’s a con artist I...

Aggie men’s tennis captures seventh consecutive win over Rice

Freshman AJ Catanzariti earned SEC freshman of the week honors Tuesday for the second consecutive week.

The Texas A&M men’s tennis team traveled to Houston Wednesday evening and defeated its old Southwestern conference foe, Rice, while the women’s home match was cancelled due to inclement weather.

The No. 8 Aggies (15-3, 8-1 SEC) once again gave a strong performance on the doubles court to start off the match. The freshman pair of AJ Catanzariti and Arthur Rinderknech secured the first set on court three for A&M when they defeated their Rice opponents 6-4.

After Harrison Adams and Shane Vinsant were eliminated on court two by a count of 6-4, seniors Jeremy Efferding and Jordan Szabo began their tiebreaker that decided who took the match’s first point.

Emerging from the tiebreak victorious, the senior pair clinched the doubles point and sent the Aggies to singles play with a 1-0 lead.

A&M wasted no time defeating the Rice Owls (11-12, 0-2 C-USA), as it only took them an hour of play on the singles court to come away with a 4-0 victory.

AJ Catanzariti, who was named SEC freshman of the week Tuesday for the second consecutive week, was the first Aggie to retire his challenger. He continued his hot streak, defeating his opponent on court four (6-4, 6-0).

Harrison Adams returned to the courts after his weekend off and pushed the lead further in the favor of A&M, winning in straight sets from the line three spot. It was Max Lunkin that wrapped things up for the Aggies when he defeated his Owl counterpart on court six by a count of 7-6 and 6-1.
A&M will look to keep its seven-match win streak alive Friday when the Aggies host their last regular season home match against Auburn. The Aggies will honor their seniors before playing the Tigers at 5 p.m.

• Freshman AJ Catanzariti earned SEC freshman of the week honors Tuesday for the second consecutive week.

• Freshman Jordi Arconada came to the Aggies from Puerto Rico.