Aggie softball cruises in 17-1 win over McLennan College

Softball
Photo by Photo by Kevin Chou
Softball

Texas A&M Softball continued its dominate fall season with a 17-1 victory over the McLennan College Highlassies Wednesday night at the Aggie Softball Complex.
With a combined pitching effort by sophomores Trinity Harrington and Kayla Ober along freshman Samantha Show, the Texas A&M pitching staff allowed one run on two hits through 10 innings.
In the first inning, the Aggie offense was held to zero runs, that wasn’t the case in the second inning as freshman Riley Satin and sophomore Erica Russell lead the charge for the Aggies in the bottom of the inning, each recording two RBI-Doubles and a run scored which eventually led to a 7-0 lead for the Aggies.
Sophomore starting pitcher Trinity Harrington, who shut down the Highlassie offense through seven complete innings allowing no hits and no runs, said that having a big lead early allows her to pitch more freely throughout the rest of the game.
“It’s always a good cushion for a pitcher, it’s very reassuring to have a few points on the board even if it’s just like one point or seven,” Harrington said. “It’s very helpful and it relaxes the little bit of nerves you might have.”
While Harrington was busy shutting down the McLennan College offense, Russell led the Aggie offense with a total of six RBIs along with scoring three runs, one of which came from a three-run homerun in the bottom of the 9th inning to extend the A&M lead to 17. Russell said that she felt at home standing in the batter’s box for the Aggies tonight.
“It felt really good, I was super comfortable and I was just really prepared with what Coach Glasco does,” Russell said. “And he told me to take pitches and get strikes into the strike zone and I just applied it and I was just more comfortable and I felt good today.”
Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans was pleased with the way her team has progressed throughout the fall season and is looking forward to how her team will perform against Sam Houston State who is their first division-one opponent in the fall season finale.
“We continue to get better and it just reinforces that we’ve got the right players on the field, no matter who we put out there they’re being effective and getting results and I’m pleased with that, ” Evans said. “And it’s really important for us to keep momentum because we’re going to play Sam Houston on Sunday and they’ll be the first division one team we play all fall so to feel that we’re progressing and moving in the right direction and prepared to face a really good ball club, that makes me feel really good about what we’re doing right now.”
The Aggies will face Sam Houston State in a double-header Nov. 15 beginning at 12pm at the Aggie Softball Complex in the final game of the fall season.