Aggie swimming and diving opens their season at Kentucky

Photo by Photo by Wesley Holmes
Swimming and diving

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving team will hit the road to take on the Lexington, Ky. Wildcats Wednesday.
As the season begins, the women’s team is eager to continue their streak of nine straight seasons with a top-10 finish in the NCAA polls.  
“Our plan is to have an undefeated season,” said senior co-captain Katherine Huff. “All of our meets are tough and very exciting. It is so much fun to watch our girls step up and do amazing things to beat our opponent.”
The meet in Kentucky comes after a long offseason of training and competition for some at the World University Games in South Korea. Senior co-captain Katherine Huff believes the team, with the help of some extra workouts, is ready to take on the challenges that await.
“The past couple weeks we have definitely stepped up our training,” said Huff. “We’ve practiced racing a little more, and I think that has prepared everybody pretty well.”
With a 38th place finish in last year’s NCAA Championships, the men’s team is looking to open their season with a win over a talented, competitive Wildcat squad.
“I really enjoy the opportunity to compete against other SEC schools,” said senior swimmer Antoine Marc. “Usually the SEC is the most competitive conference not only in football, but in swimming as well.”
Even though they fell just short of a conference crown in 2014, Texas A&M women’s head coach Steve Bultman believes the team holds the confidence and talent to win a conference title this year. Bultman said the team can even challenge other powerhouse programs for a national title as well.
“We are a solid, strong program,” said A&M head coach Steve Bultman. “So, we should be able to take care of business.”

With competitive teams littered throughout the schedule this year, Texas A&M men’s head coach Jay Holmes has set the team’s expectations.
“We want to have a great SEC meet,” said Holmes. “We also want to qualify for NCAA’s and finish well there. That is our expectations in a nutshell.”
The Aggies and Wildcats will get underway in Lexington at 2 p.m. The competition will take place at Kentucky’s Lancaster Aquatics Center.