Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Aggie track has strong showing at Sun Angel Classic

Photo by Errol Anderson
Texas A&M Track

This weekend Texas A&M track and field was back in Arizona competing in the Sun Angel Classic. The Aggies had another strong showing, as several meet and school records were broken over the two days of competition. The meet allowed both professional and collegiate athletes to compete.
The meet got off to a good start as Alison Ondrusek placed third in the women’s hammer competition with a throw of 208 feet. The senior shattered the previous school record of 201-4.
“Breaking the school record was incredible, I was so excited,” Ondrusek told 12thman.com. “As soon as it left my hands I knew it was going to be a good one. When I saw where it landed I was very happy. I was excited to not just barely break the school record, but to add almost two meters worth to it.”
More records fell as junior Audie Wyatt hit 18-814 feet (5.70) to win the men’s pole vault competition. His height broke the previous school record of 18-612 (5.65) and also set new bests for the stadium and the meet.
“A school record feels great, making the A standard for worlds feels great and having the stadium record feels great,” Wyatt said to 12thman.com. “Later in the season I’m looking forward to jumping 19 feet and possibly more. I just need to keep doing what I’ve been doing and have some fun.”
In other field event action, freshman Serena Brown placed third in the women’s discus competition with a throw of 179-4 feet (54.67). Senior Shelby Poncik (165-5) and junior Madalaine Stulce (163-1) finished third and fourth respectively in the women’s javelin throw, while junior Garrett Cragin (6-1034) finished tied for fourth in the men’s high jump and senior Austin Cook (208-6) placed fifth in the men’s hammer throw.
The Aggies set another record, this time on the track, when Donavan Brazier recorded a meet-best time of 1:44.63  to win the men’s 800 meter run. Devin Dixon placed fourth with a time of 1:47.01.
In other men’s track action, junior Mylik Kerley (46.09) and sophomore Richard Rose (46.28) placed fourth and fifth respectively in the 400m, while junior Robert Grant (49.40) finished runner-up in the 400m hurdles. Junior Elijah Morrow placed sixth overall in the men’s 200m with a time of 20.67, and senior Alex Riba finished third in the mile with a time of 4:05.79.
On track for the women, junior Shamier Little won her debut 400m hurdles race with a time of 56.83, while freshman Danyel White finished runner-up in the 100m dash with a time of 11.49.
With another successful meet in the books, the Aggies’ next stop will be Los Angeles, where they will be competing in the Jim Bush Collegiate Invitational starting April 14.