Aggie volleyball to start road trip with LSU

Photo by Photo by Aimée Rodriguez

The Aggies defeated Ole Miss in four sets Sunday afternoon.

The Texas A&M volleyball team begins a three-game road trip Friday night as they head to Baton Rouge, LA to take on LSU at 7 p.m.

The Aggies (7-6, 1-1 SEC) are coming off a 3-0 (26-24, 25-18, 25-19) sweep of Auburn last Sunday while the Tigers (5-8, 0-2 SEC) are seeking to snap a four-game losing skid.

In three previous trips to Baton Rouge, the Aggies are undefeated as the visitors and have never dropped a match on the road to LSU under head coach Laurie Corbelli.

LSU is led by junior outside hitter Gina Tillis, who has recorded double-digit kills in nine matches for the Tigers this season and leads the team in kills per set (3.31) and points per set (3.71). Tillis led the Tigers with 11 kills in their last match against Arkansas.

On the other side of the net, A&M sophomore middle blocker Kaitlyn Blake will seek to stop Tillis’ attack. Blake currently leads the team and the SEC in blocks per set (1.70), a mark that ranks her sixth in the nation in that category, and has recorded team-highs in blocks in each of A&M’s 13 matches this season.
A road win over the last-place Tigers would be beneficial for the Aggies, who currently sit tied for fifth with four other teams in the young conference season. A second consecutive league win could also create major momentum as the Aggies travel to Arkansas next Wednesday following their trip to LSU, to play in a nationally televised game against the Razorbacks.