Aggie women’s golf kicks off season with dominant win at The Lady Maxwell

Photo by Provided by Aggie Athletics
Women’s golf wins SEC Championship

The Texas A&M Women’s golf team opened its season last weekend with a commanding win at The Lady Maxwell tournament in Ardmore, Oklahoma.

The three-round tournament started last Friday when the Aggies shot a six-over 290, giving them a 10-stroke lead over second place Sam Houston State after the first round. Senior Maddie Szeryk and freshman Ariana Saenz led the day for the Aggies, both shooting an even 71-par.

The Aggies continued their dominance on Saturday shooting a 14-over 298, and still holding an 11-stroke lead. Sophomore Courtney Dow was the top performer for the Aggies, shooting one under par, moving her to just three-over par on the tournament.

The Aggies had their best performance of the tournament on Sunday, shooting a 3-over on the day putting them 23 shots ahead of second-place Wichita State. The Aggies finished the tournament with a final score of 875, 23-over par.

Courtney Dow was the top finisher for the Aggies in terms of individual play, finishing the tournament with a 2-over 215 and a third-place overall finish. After shooting a 69 on Sunday, Maddie Szeryk finished one stroke behind Dow, earning her fourth place recognition. Freshman Amber Park was the third Aggie to finish in the top 10 in her first ever collegiate competition, shooting 10-over on the tournament and finishing seventh.

Though the Aggies return a strong core from last year and added many highly recruited freshmen, you never truly know how talented a new team is until they get on the course for the first time, and for head coach Trelle McCombs, the performance serves as reassurance.

“Winning a tournament is a great way to start off the season,” Trelle McCombs told 12thman.com. “We showed some improvement today, having our best round of the tournament, and I’m really proud of our team of staying focused and bringing a trophy back to Aggieland.”

The Aggies will look to continue their strong play at the Jim West Challenge in The Woodlands, Texas, on Monday, September 11th.