Aggies answer Friday’s loss with 14-2 victory over Gonzaga in game two

Photo by Annie Lui

Junior Logan Foster slides onto the home plate. 

After dropping game one of the weekend series to Gonzaga, the Texas A&M baseball team came out on Saturday looking for redemption.
The Aggies got on the board first with a two-run bottom in the first before exploding for a seven-run fourth inning that was highlighted by senior Jonathan Ducoff’s three-run home run. A&M then added five insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth that was highlighted by freshman Ty Coleman’s grand slam.
A&M scored 14 runs in the offensive explosion, winning the game 14-2. With the win, the Aggies improve to 14-3 on the season, while Gonzaga falls to 5-7.
“I’m really proud of our team and the way we responded,” A&M head coach Rob Childress said. “We’ve done a great job of that all year long individually and collectively.”
Asa Lacy got the start on the mound for the Aggies and tossed another gem, as he’s done all year. The lefty threw six innings, giving up no earned runs on just three hits and struck out seven. Sophomore Dustin Saenz took over for Lacy on the mound and threw the last three innings, giving up no earned runs on four hits.
“Stayed consistent and locked in, I was just trying to make pitches and not let things get away from me,” Lacy said. “Overall, just the fastball command I was pleased with tonight and just trying to make them hit the ball and make our defense work.”
At the plate, the Aggies were led by Coleman, sophomore Bryce Blaum and junior Braden Shewmake. Coleman went 2-for-5 with a grand slam and five RBIs, while Blaum led the game off with a rocket solo home run to left field and went 2-for-4 with two RBIs. Shewmake closed out the third spot after going 2-for-3 with three RBIs.
“Right there I was just trying to hit something hard and luckily it snuck out of here,” Coleman said. “Last night I felt like we were all over the barrel and just couldn’t capitalize with runners in scoring position, but today capitalizing on those opportunities was huge for us.”
Gonzaga junior starter Mac Lardner had a few solid innings, but the Aggies figured him out in the fourth. Lardner threw 3.1 innings, giving up all nine runs on 10 hits.
At the plate, the Bulldogs were led by sophomore Ernie Yake and junior Troy Johnston. Yake went 2-for-4 with an RBI from the leadoff spot, while Johnston went 2-for-2 with a double.
The rubber match of the series will be on Sunday at Blue Bell Park. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m. and will be televised on the SEC Network.