Aggies conclude practice with eyes on Saturday’s spring game

Photo by By Lawrence Smelser

The wide receiver crew waits on the sidelines to take part in a drill.

Texas A&M football took the field today for its last spring practice in preparation for the intra-squad spring game.  
After the practice, head coach Kevin Sumlin spoke with the media about the spring game.
Last Friday the Aggies hosted Friday Night Lights where they scrimmaged under the lights at Kyle Field. This was the first of two scrimmages at Kyle Field in front of a crowd, with the second being the Maroon and White Spring Game on Saturday. 
“I thought there was some good things [at Friday Night Lights],” Sumlin said. “In spite of the weather, the 12th Man showed up and it was a great crowd. It gave our guys a chance to compete without the coaches on the field in front of a game-type atmosphere. We had some guys that played well, we were kind of hit-and-miss offensively until later on, but there were some real positives.”
Saturday’s Spring Game will be the first spring game since 2013 for the Aggies. They’ll look to improve their skills and show off their improvement in front of the crowd. 
“Right now, I’m real pleased with our effort,” Sumlin said. “In the spring game, we’re going to lineup and be pretty base and just run at each other. I want to see some sound gap defense, I want to see some tackling, and see some physical football and get the guys that we know can play some work early, and then some of the guys who haven’t done much or that we’re counting on to do more this year, they’ll play the majority of the game.”
One of the focuses for Sumlin and the offensive staff has been the quarterback battle between Jake Hubenak and Oklahoma transfer Trevor Knight. Sumlin and new offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone will evaluate each quarterback on Saturday in hopes of naming a starter in the Fall.
“[Hubenak and Knight] will play with both groups,” Sumlin said. “It’ll be ones versus ones and twos versus twos, so we don’t have the second offensive line trying to block [Daeshon Hall and Myles Garrett] because we’d never get the ball off.” 
The last Aggie Spring Game had an attendance of 15,000, but look for that number to rise significantly this Spring game due to the renovation of Kyle Field.
“It was a great crowd for Friday night, especially with the weather being the way it was, but it’s going to be a big weekend,” Sumlin said. “Tomorrow we have over 200 former football players playing in our golf tournament, we’ve got parents weekend, Ring Day, baseball versus Georgia, you’re going to have to ride a bicycle because there isn’t going to be a place to park.”
With a good crowd attending Friday Night Lights last weekend, coach Sumlin and the Aggies expect there to be an even better crowd for the Spring Game on Saturday.
“It’ll be a hell of a lot better weather Saturday [than last Friday],” Sumlin said. “It’ll also be at a reasonable time for everybody, five o’clock is good for the young and the old, and people will be able sit in Kyle Field on both sides.”
The Maroon and White Spring Game will be on Saturday at Kyle Field and will start at 5 p.m. The scrimmage will be televised on the SEC Network.