Aggies continue defensive struggles in 8-3 loss over Florida

Photo by Kaylee Cogbill

Sophomore Kylie George went in to pinch run in the sixth inning.

Saturday’s game at Davis Diamond started out slowly as both Texas A&M and No. 6 Florida struggled to get things moving offensively.
From the fourth inning on, however, that was not the case as the Gators scored eight runs over three innings to take the 8-3 win.
Florida kicked off scoring with a double to center by Kendyl Lindaman that scored Amanda Lorenz. After Amanda Beane went into the game for Lindaman, she scored on a single by Sophia Reynoso to give the Gators a 2-0 lead over the Aggies.
The Aggies weren’t completely out of the game though.
With Madi Jatzlau and Ashlynn Walls on third and second, respectively, and two outs, Riley Sartain stepped up to bat. The senior then knocked a single up the middle to score the two runners and tie the game at 2-2.
Sartain said her one-hit and two RBI outing was a result of A&M’s week-long preparation for the series.
“We really worked on attacking the pitches we know they’re going to throw,” Sartain said. “We know [Florida pitcher Elizabeth Hightower] throws up in the zone. Everything has a movement to it, so just staying on top of the ball and driving it into the ground.”
Florida then answered in the fifth with a three-run homer by Lindaman. Jordan Matthews followed and hit a home run to open the sixth inning and extend No. 6 Florida’s lead to 6-2.
A&M tried to kick off a rally in the sixth, earning one run. Both Payton McBride and Haley Lee singled and Dani Elder was walked to give A&M a bases loaded situation.
After Sartain was struck out, Kayla Garcia notched an RBI to allow McBride to score. The inning quickly ended though, as Morgan Smith was struck out, leaving the Aggies with the 8-3 loss.
The weather played a key role in the Aggies’ fate on Saturday, A&M head coach Jo Evans said, as batters faced northwest winds of 20 miles per hour.
“With the wind, you’ve really got to make sure you’re looking down and staying on top of the ball,” Evans said. “We made that a little tougher on ourselves.”
A pitching change came in the sixth as McBride replaced Potts on the mound. In her five innings, Potts allowed nine hits, while pitching three strikeouts.
Evans said Potts had a strong first three innings, but got out of rhythm with her pitching in the fourth.
“I think she was getting the ball up a little bit,” Evans said. “It wasn’t as heavy as usual.”
McBride went on to pitch one run on two hits in her two innings in the circle.
Evans also gave credit to Florida’s hitters, who she said did a good job of making adjustments from Friday’s game when they had only eight hits compared to Saturday’s 11.
“Florida did a nice job of sitting on pitches that they were looking for,” Evans said. “They hit the ball hard today.”
The series will wrap up on Sunday at Davis Diamond with the first pitch at noon.