Aggies defeat Alabama 69-48 on ‘BTHO Breast Cancer Night” at Reed

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Senior guard Curtyce Tyce“ Knox had a game high 12 assists against Alabama. Knox leads the nation with 9.4 assists per game and has the most assists per game in SEC history. 

Aggie women’s basketball team handily defeated Alabama tonight 69-48 to improve to 18-6 and 8-3 in SEC play. After Alabama tied the game up at 11 a piece in the first quarter with back to back three-pointers, the Aggies went on a 15-1 run and never looked back. The game served as ‘BTHO Breast Cancer’ night at Reed Arena as the Aggies wore all pink uniforms to spread awareness for breast cancer.
A&M head coach Gary Blair said he was pleased with the way his team performed on their way to the eighth consecutive home victory.
“I thought we were efficient tonight,” Blair said. “I was able to rest some kids like (Taylor) Cooper, Danni [Williams] was very hot to start the ball game, she had a solid game when you look at her numbers, I thought we rebounded well until the end and we got a little sloppy when I was playing a lot of kids, but it’s a W.”
The Aggies were led by junior Khaalia Hillsman, sophomore Danni Williams, sophomore Anriel Howard and senior Curtyce Knox. Hillsman scored 19 points and grabbed four rebounds with Williams also scoring 19 points along with seven rebounds. Howard recorded another double-double as she scored 18 points and had 10 rebounds, while Knox scored four points, grabbed five rebounds, and racked up 12 assists. Tonight, was especially special for Knox as her mom is a breast cancer survivor. 
“I just think that we played harder knowing what we were playing for tonight,” Knox said. “All the breast cancer survivors that were here and we just wanted to show them how hard we could work on offense and defense and entertain them.”
Alabama has now lost four straight and seven of its last eight contests. Tonight, they were led by a pair of Knights in junior guard Meoshonti Knight and junior guard Coco Knight. Meoshonti had 11 points and Coco had 10 points and four rebounds.
“I just want to compliment Texas A&M’s crowd, it’s a great environment,” Alabama coach Kristy Curry said. “Credit A&M tonight, I thought they did the things they had to do, and we didn’t respond very well, so at the end of the day hats off to those guys and we’ll try and bounce back against Florida.”
The Aggies will be back in action on Sunday as they travel to Knoxville to take on Tennessee. Tipoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. and will air on ESPNU.