Aggies drop first game of the season to Arizona, 67-64

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Senior guard Duane Wilson is averaging 11.7 points-per-game for the Aggies.

Seventh-ranked and undefeated Texas A&M was tied at 58 with Arizona when the Wildcats’ Parker Jackson-Cartwright hit a three from the corner to give Arizona a lead it would never relinquish, winning the Valley of the Sun Shootout in Phoenix, 67-64.
A controversial travelling call on Aggie center Tyler Davis then led to A&M being down three points.
With two seconds left, senior Duane Wilson pulled up to shoot from the top of the key and was fouled, with the shot nearly falling to tie the game. Wilson made just two of three from the free throw line and Arizona went on to seal it with two free throws.
Arizona gave the Aggies their first loss of the season. The Wildcats started the season No. 2 in the nation before losing three-straight games in the Bahamas. The game was close through all 40 minutes, with neither team leading by more than six at any point of the game.
Arizona was led by freshman center DeAndre Ayton, who will likely be taken in the top five of next year’s NBA Draft, freshman Brandon Randolph, and junior Allonzo Trier. Ayton scored 13 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, Randolph also scored 13 and grabbed two rebounds, while Trier scored seven points and recorded three assists. Before the game, Trier was averaging 23.9 points, which was good for seventh in the NCAA, but was shut down by A&M guard Admon Gilder tonight in Phoenix.
A&M was led by Gilder, Wilson, and junior Tyler Davis. Gilder played lights out on defense all night while adding seven points and snagging four rebounds. Davis was arguably the best player on the court on Tuesday as he scored 21 points and Wilson added 14 points with five assists.
The Aggies will be back in action on Saturday against Prairie View A&M at Reed Arena. Tipoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.