Aggies earn game three win over Georgia with late rally

Photo by Photo by Kaylee Cogbill

Kendall Potts gets the groundout for the last out the top of the fifth inning.

Texas A&M softball concluded their series against No. 12 Georgia with a 5-3 victory on Sunday at Jack Turner Stadium.
Georgia led 2-0 in the first inning, after senior Alyssa DiCarlo hit a two-run home run to center. The Aggies responded in the top of the second with two runs off of a single from freshman Morgan Smith and another from freshman Kayla Garcia, who scored on an error by Georgia.
The Bulldogs regained the lead in the bottom half of the second, scoring a run off of a single from junior Justice Milz. The score remained the same during the third, fourth and fifth innings as neither team found a way to return home.
However, this would all change in the sixth inning.
Sophomore Dani Elder led of the inning and was hit by a pitch and moved to second on a bunt single from freshman Haley Lee. A five-pitch walk to senior Riley Sartain then loaded the bases. Garcia delivered a single which which started off the scoring run with Lee and Sartain eventually returning home from Smith’s double to left.
“The bottom of our order did such a great job,” A&M head coach Jo Evans told 12thman.com. “It’s so fun seeing our youngsters go out there and get clutch hits. I’m just really pleased with our poise this game. Yesterday I challenged our team, and our kids answered the call.”
The Bulldogs were unable to answer back in the seventh inning and gave the Aggies a win in the series.
A&M junior Kendall Potts had an dominant game in the pitching circle, only allowing five hits and one earned run.
Evans said she was pleased with Potts’ overall performance both in game two and game three.
“She[Potts] was terrific out there,” Evans told 12thman.com. “…She was poised out there and got out. She played great defense and made a couple of plays. Her attitude is always positive.”
The Aggies will return to the field and host the Florida Gators in a three-game series at Davis Diamond next weekend. Game one is scheduled for a 6:00 p.m. start on Friday, while Saturday and Sunday’s matches are scheduled for 6:00 p.m. and 12:00 p.m. The games will be televised on SEC Network Plus.