Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Aggies fall to LSU in SEC West series battle

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Junior Logan Foster had two hits and one run in his five at-bats during the game against the University of Texas on April 2 at Disch-Falk Field in Austin.

After deciding to make Saturday’s game into a doubleheader the day of game one, No. 11 Texas A&M baseball faced an uphill battle against SEC West foes No. 12 LSU. The Aggies took the 6-4 win in game two on Saturday before falling 9-3 in game three to take home a series loss.
A&M now stands at 25-8-1 on the season and 7-4-1 in SEC play, while the Tigers improve to 23-10 and 8-4 in the SEC.
The Aggies were in control of game two for most of the nine innings, as they started the scoring in the top of the second when junior Cam Blake hit a double that cleared the bases for three runs.
A&M held on to the three-run lead and further extended it with a two-run top of the seventh thanks to a triple from junior Braden Shewmake and a single from senior Chandler Morris.
LSU didn’t go down without a fight, however, as the Tigers put up four runs in the eighth and ninth innings, while the Aggies added one more insurance run in the top of the eighth to seal the 6-4 win.
Sophomore starting pitcher Asa Lacy carried the Aggies on the mound in game two, as the lefty threw six shutout innings, giving up just one hit and striking out 11 batters.
The Aggies took the first lead in game three, scoring two runs in the top of the first when junior Mikey Hoehner singled up the middle.
A&M would score just one more run in the game in the top of the ninth when the Tigers had already wrapped up the win. LSU scored three runs in the third and seventh, two in the eighth and one in the fifth.
Sophomore lefty Chandler Jozwiak got the start in game three, but only made it through two innings as the Aggies would use five more pitchers.
However, nothing could stop the LSU offense that combined for nine runs on 12 hits off the Aggie pitching staff in the late game. Freshman righty Cole Henry led the Tigers on the mound in game three, going eight innings, giving up two earned runs on six hits and fanning nine Aggie hitters.
The Aggie offense was led by Hoehner and Blake on Saturday, as Hoehner went 4-for-9 with two RBIs and two runs scored, while Blake went 3-for-4 with three RBIs.
LSU was led by juniors Zach Watson and Josh Smith. Watson went 5-for-10 with four RBIs and Smith went 4-for-8 with three runs scored in the two games.
The Aggies will be back in action on Tuesday as they host the Texas State Bobcats. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.