Aggies fall to Ole Miss in SEC Tourney semis, 2-1

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Junior pitcher Mitchell Kilkenny started the game for the Aggies. He pitched nearly five innings with eight hits and zero strikeouts.

Texas A&M tried to rally late, but fell short to No. 4 Ole Miss 2-1 Saturday afternoon in the SEC Tournament semifinals in Hoover, Alabama.
A&M (39-20) tried to rally with two outs in the bottom of the eighth, pushing across one run, but the Aggies left the bases loaded after Allonte Wingate struck out swinging on a full count.
For the day, A&M struggled in critical situations going 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position and 2-for-14 with runners on base.
Ole Miss starting pitcher Jordan Fowler was stellar in his first start against SEC competition this season. The freshman southpaw tossed 6.0 innings, allowing no runs while scattering six hits and striking out three.
While Fowler was effective he had exceptional help from his infield, particularly third baseman Ryan Olenek who made several stout plays from the hot corner. None may have been more critical than in the second when Olenek threw out Logan Foster at the plate, keeping the Aggies from gaining an early lead.
A&M starter Mitchell Kilkenny did not have his greatest outing, even on extended rest, allowing two runs on eight hits despite striking out eight batters in 6.0 innings of work.
The Rebels scratched a pair off the Aggies’ ace in the fourth on an infield groundout and a single to left field.
Despite the loss, A&M had a positive week after going 3-1 in the SEC Tournament. The Aggies’ strong showing should solidify their spot in the NCAA Tournament. A&M will learn of its postseason fate Monday at 11 a.m.