Aggies hold Auburn for win at Ellis

Sophomore midfielder Addie McCain contributed one goal to the Aggies’ victory over Auburn.

The No.6 Texas A&M Aggies bounced back after tying Ole Miss with a 4-2 win against Auburn Thursday evening at Ellis Field.
A&M got to a quick start by turning good defense into good offense. The Aggies first goal came from leading goal scorer Ally Watt, her tenth the season, assisted by junior Grace Piper.
The second goal came almost immediately afterwards and was scored by sophomore Jimena Lopez assisted by freshman Tera Ziemer, Ziemer’s second straight game with an assist.
The Aggies defense could not keep the shutout as Auburn responded with a goal of their own in the 15th minute of the game. The pace of the game was quite as obvious as both teams were flying up and down the field. The Aggies connected on a shot with 39 minutes left off of a 20 yard blast coming from sophomore Addie McCain.
Coach G. Guerrieri said Auburn is a very hard team to defend and was really proud of the Aggies ability to finish.
“Auburn is team that really puts that ball and moves it in really difficult places to defend,” Guerrieri said. “As much as anything I was pleased with our finishing. Addie Mccains goal against the run of play at the time of the game was exactly what the doctor ordered and the first two goals were exactly as we prepared the whole week for.”
McCain and Aggie Soccer have this running “puppy watch” on twitter. This “puppy watch” is based off an arrangement made with Addie McCain and her father on how many goals is worth her father getting her a puppy. This was McCain fourth goal of the season and enough to get a puppy, so it was a very successful evening for McCain.
The key to the Aggies victory in such a fast paced game is their star goalie senior Cosette Morche. Her defensive prowess was on display last week holding ole miss to a tie, but specifically showed this week in a crossbody diving save in the 30th minute.
Morche said the save can be attributed to adrenaline and the desire not to allow another goal.
“After getting scored on it’s frustrating but you want that feeling again. It was my adrenaline rushing” Morche said “Just seeing the ball, knowing it’s on frame so I have do anything I can. So I just made sure I had my body fly and do anything I can to save it.”
Auburn would eventually score again in 63rd minute to make the score 3-2. In the 69th minute of the game, Auburn’s Bri Field would commit a handball in the box and receive red card to be ejected out of the game.The Aggies would take advantage of the penalty kick with Jimena Lopez getting her second goal of the game, third of the season. The Aggies would carry their 4-2 score through the game to secure the victory.
Jimena Lopez said her performance was thanks to the week’s preparation providing confidence despite Auburn’s distraction tactics.
“The first goal was part of the game plan, us midfields pushed up and Tera had a great cross in. This confused the defenders and I was in the right place at the right time,” Lopez said “I was just very confident of where I wanted to kick it, it doesn’t matter what they do if it’s well kicked it’ll go in.”
The Aggies continue action on the road at Bell Soccer Complex against Kentucky Sunday October 7. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.