Aggies in the MLB

Photo by Via CREATIVE COMMONS

Michael Wacha recorded 27 victories in three seasons at Texas A&M.

With six Major League Baseball teams opening their seasons Sunday and the other 24 playing their first game on Monday, the 2016 season is finally underway. With that said, here are five players who played their college baseball at Texas A&M who made Opening Day rosters.

Michael Wacha, St. Louis Cardinals

After being part of the starting rotation in each of his three seasons at A&M from 2010-2012, Wacha pitched his first full season in the MLB in 2015. The 24-year-old righty went 17-7 with a 3.38 ERA in 181.1 innings pitched. In 2016 he will be a critical part of a Cardinals rotation that will try to make up for the loss of veteran starter John Lackey, who signed with the Cubs in the offseason.

Cliff Pennington, Los Angeles Angels

The oldest player on this list, Pennington played for the Aggies from 2003-2005. He is not a star, but he has made a career as a serviceable middle infielder. The 31-year-old journeyman will be employed this season as a bench player for the Angels. He hit only .210 in 2015 with three home runs, but his versatility and defensive prowess allows him to stay in the league.

Ross Stripling, Los Angeles Dodgers

Stripling, who pitched for A&M for four years from 2009-2012, received great news Friday afternoon when the Dodgers announced that he earned the final spot in the team’s starting rotation. Even though he hasn’t pitched above Double-A in his career, he impressed the organization enough in spring training to win the job at the big-league level.

Tyler Naquin, Cleveland Indians

Like Stripling, Naquin also learned Friday that he would start the season in the big leagues for the first time of his career. The 24-year-old outfielder was arguably the Aggies’ best player when they went to the College World Series in 2011, and the former first-round pick likely would have cracked the MLB roster sooner if not for various injuries that delayed his ascent up the minor league ladder.

Alex Wilson, Detroit Tigers

Wilson transferred to Texas A&M from Winthrop for his final college season in 2009, and he blossomed into an excellent late-inning reliever for the Tigers in 2015, amassing a 2.19 ERA in 70 innings of work. The 29-year-old Saudi Arabian-born righty projects to be an integral part of Brad Ausmus’ bullpen in 2016.