Aggies in the NFL

Ryan+Tannehill
Photo by Miami Dolphins
Ryan Tannehill

With week seven of the NFL in the books, let’s take a look at what some former Texas A&M football players did this past week.

Dan Campbell:  

After getting his first head coaching shot of his career, former tight ends coach and now interim head coach Dan Campbell has lit a fire under the Miami Dolphins in his first two games at the helm. The former Aggie tight end has really put his imprint on the Dolphins after the firing of Joe Philbin. From a 38-10 victory over the Tennessee Titans to a 44-26 thrashing of the Houston Texans, Campbell has taken a 1-4 team that was playing below expectations to a team that is now playing well on both sides of the ball. Campbell has emphasized tougher and more physical practices, and it has translated to the field. 

Ryan Tannehill:

Tannehill was nearly perfect Sunday against the Houston Texans, passing 18-for-19 for 282 yards and four touchdowns. With consecutive completions in the Titans game, Tannehill broke the NFL record for straight completions with 25. The feat earned the former Aggie quarterback AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors. The Dolphins got off to a fast start, as Tannehill threw three touchdowns — two to Jarvis Landry in the first quarter to put the game out of reach. This is the dynamic offense Dolphin fans expected at the beginning of the season. It just started up a little later than expected. 

Mike Evans:

Evans hit the endzone for the first time this season as the Buccaneers lost a 31-30 heartbreaker to the Redskins on Sunday. Evans was targeted twelve times, catching eight balls for 164 yards and a 40-yard touchdown on the third play from scrimmage. Rookie quarterback Jameis Winston has shown that Evans has become his official No. 1 target with Winston looking to Evans in crucial situations. Expect Evans to keep putting up huge numbers for the Bucs offense.