Aggies lead Rice 21-7 at halftime

No. 7 A&M overcame a slow start to an 8:00 p.m. matchup with the Rice Owls to find themselves with a 21-7 lead at halftime on Saturday night.
Rice elected to receive from the north end of Kyle Field after winning the coin toss.
The Owl offense began with five consecutive rushing plays, splitting carries between sophomore running backs Jowan Davis and Darik Dillard. The drive stalled when quarterback Driphus Jackson’s pass to Dillard was stopped just short of a first down by linebacker Donnie Baggs.
An intentional grounding penalty coupled with a sack by Owls tackle Dylan Klare stalled the Aggies first drive of the game forcing Drew Kaser to punt from his own end zone.
Owls kicker James Hairston missed his first field goal try of the game wide right from 22 yards out, turning the ball over to A&M at their own 20 yard line.
After starting the game with three straight incompletions, A&M sophomore Kenny Hill completed his next five passes, including a 14-yard touchdown to Speedy Noil, the first of Noil’s career. The first score of the game capped off a 13 play 80-yard drive which took 3:50 off the clock.
A&M held a 7-0 lead over Rice after one quarter of play.
Aggie linebackers Justin Bass and Tommy Sanders combined on a fourth down tackle on Dillard to cause a turnover on downs. After Brandon Williams first rush of the drive resulted in a two-yard loss, he redeemed himself with a 27-yard run to put A&M on the Rice 31 yard line.
Hill found wide receiver Ricky Seals-Jones on the other end of a 13-yard pass to put the Aggies up by another score. After Josh Lambo’s successful PAT, the Aggies held a 14-0 lead.
Rice found the end zone for their first score of the game when Jackson completed a pass to Mario Hull. The senior had a catch and run good for 35 yards, which cut the A&M lead to 14-7.
The Aggies stretched the lead back to 21-7 after Hill found Josh Reynolds on a 48-yard touchdown pass to cap off an eight play, 91-yard drive spanning 2:42. The first half saw six different A&M receivers catch passes.
After Rice successfully made a 53-yard field goal with time expiring, officials called the score back due to a dead ball penalty on A&M. The Aggies blocked the second try which was returned for a touchdown by Armani Watts. That play was called back as well due to unsportsmanlike conduct on the Aggie bench. A&M kneeled the ball on an untimed play at the end of the half.
Senior Malcome Kennedy led the way receiving with four catches for 34 yards. Tra Carson was the leading rusher for A&M using his seven carries to gain 35 yards on the ground. Brandon Williams had four carries for 30 yards.
Hill was 13-for-19 for 151 yards and three touchdowns in the first half.