Aggies pick up a pair in transfer portal

Photo by Julianne Shivers

Graduate WR Ainias Smith (0) points after a first down in Texas A&Ms game against ACU on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2023 at Kyle Field. (Julianne Shivers/ The Battalion)

Texas A&M football reeled in two players from the transfer portal over the weekend for its third and fourth additions from the portal this offseason.
Youngstown State junior linebacker Alex Howard announced his commitment to the Aggies with a post on X on Saturday, Dec. 16, while Louisiana Tech sophomore wide receiver Cyrus Allen committed on Sunday, Dec. 17.
A&M faced an immediate hole at the linebacker position with the departure of junior Edgerrin Cooper to the NFL Draft and senior Chris Russell Jr.’s graduation. Howard can be expected to line up alongside freshman Taurean York, who was named an ESPN Freshman All-American and received Freshman All-SEC Honors.
Allen is the second wide receiver to join the Aggies out of the transfer portal alongside Old Dominion redshirt junior Javon Harvey. Freshman Raymond Cottrell has been the only A&M wide receiver to enter the transfer portal, while graduate Ainias Smith declared for the NFL Draft.
Howard appeared in 38 games over four seasons with the Penguins, including all 13 games of a 2023 season in which they went 8-5. Over his career, the Cincinnati product has tallied 142 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, five sacks and five pass breakups. This season was Howard’s most productive yet, picking up 76 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. He added an interception and three pass breakups.
Allen was a fixture on Louisiana Tech’s offense the past two seasons, reeling in 68 total catches for 1,278 yards and four touchdowns both years. The New Orleans native lived up to his billing on the 2023 Athlon Sports Preseason First Team All-Conference USA Team with 46 receptions for 778 yards to average 70.7 yards per game. Allen returned kickoffs as well, with nine returns this season for an average of 20.7 yards.