Aggies picked to finish fourth, Blake selected to All-SEC team

Photo by FILE

Junior Kaitlyn Blake was the only Aggie named to the 2017 Preseason All-SEC Volleyball Team.

The 2017 SEC Preseason Coaches’ Poll released Wednesday predicted the Texas A&M volleyball team to finish fourth in conference for the second year in a row.
After ending the season fourth in SEC play last year with a conference record of 15-3, the young Aggies’ team will seek to build on their success last year, returning four starters and a libero.
The reigning conference champions, the Florida Gators, earned the first place nod in the preseason poll, however, it should be noted that the team who has finished first in the SEC Preseason Coaches’ Poll has only actually won the conference once in the past five seasons.
One of the returning starters for the Aggies is junior middle blocker Kaitlyn Blake whose strong net presence earned her a spot on the Preseason All-SEC team comprised of ten players, the lone Aggie earning preseason recognition. Blake comes off her sophomore season where she led the conference in blocks per set (1.52) and total blocks (164). Her phenomenal season earned her Honorable Mention recognition from the American Volleyball Coaches Association. Blake was also named to the All-SEC team at the end of the season.
Blake will also look to rub some of her success on to some talented newcomers after head coach Laurie Corbelli reeled in the No. 18 recruiting class in the nation for 2017 according to PrepVolleyball.com.
The Aggies will start their on-campus training on Aug. 8, preparing for their first game of the season against Sam Houston State on Aug. 25 at 6:30 PM in Reed Arena.