Aggies prepare for Maroon and White game with spring practices

Photo by Josh Gleason

Jimbo Fisher and the Agges kicked off Spring football for 2019 with their first practice on Mar. 20.

With the Maroon and White game quickly approaching, Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher has been focused on consistency from both sides of the football.
“Offensively, it flashes at times,” Fisher said. “We have to get more consistent on both sides. Sometimes right now both sides are making plays because the other guy makes a mistake. Again, we gotta get a little more consistency and we gotta get more depth and more guys you can depend on both sides to play.”
Fisher said that the team is nowhere close to where he wants to be depth-wise in terms of championship level football, citing the youth of the roster and situations that some of the team has never been in before.
The age of the current spring roster has been a focal point of the offseason for the Aggies, especially after the loss of several upperclassmen that had a significant role in 2018.
One of the key positions that has seen youth take a significant role is the offensive line following the departure of Eric McCoy and Keaton Sutherland. Redshirt freshmen Tank Jenkins and Jake Matthews played at the guard position in the scrimmage, and have been running with the starters recently.
“We’re blocking some good guys but we’ve got to get some continuity and get healthy,” Fisher said. “You play the scrimmage with two redshirt freshmen, we’re just finding combinations right now. But that’s where you’re always going to be at this time of year, and there’s not a coach in America saying that.”
Fisher said that while no one stood out in the scrimmage, it was a back-and-forth contest with junior wide receiver Hezekiah Jones making plays and sophomore running backs Vernon Jackson and Cordarrian Richardson.
Defensively, Fisher said he recognized the interior linemen and the entire front for getting better and doing a good job during the scrimmage. He also said that sophomore defensive end Tyree Johnson did a good job of pass rushing.
Along with the youthful aspect of the spring roster, leadership has been another focal point of the offseason. With quarterback Kellen Mond and defensive back Keldrick Carper assuming a pair of those roles over the offseason, Fisher said that the experienced will continue to lead.
“When you say leaders, it’s the same guys,” Fisher said. “The same guys are going to do the same thing. There isn’t going to be new guys. Same guys that are experienced are gonna keep doing it.”
Fisher said consistency is so important at this point of spring practice.
“Show us what you’re gonna do everyday, be consistent because you can coach around that,” Fisher said.
The Aggies will return to Kyle Field on Saturday, April 13 for the annual Maroon and White spring game. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. and will be televised on SEC Network.